Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do any of you collect retired players, but only cards released during their playing days?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I recently read an old thread, I think from Ozzie Smith collector, Moxie, in which he says he decided to only collect his player's cards that were released during his career because there are too many cards released now.

I was a big Rickey Henderson collector from 1986 to about 2005, but I quit (postponed) collecting his cards because I was overwhelmed by the number and expense of all of the new modern cars, game used and autographs.

Last weekend I was going through my Rickey cards and decided to limit this even further than collecting his playing day cards, since he played into the 2000s, when massive amounts of expensive variations and inserts were released.

So I'm just going to collect Rickey Henderson cards from his 1977 minor league card up until 1993, when he left the A's. Not only was his time on the A's and Yankees the best and most exciting part of his career, but it was also during my childhood and up until I graduated college and didn't collect as much, so I have fond memories of collecting and pouring over box scores every morning, especially in the '80s.

I have about 80% of his cards from that era, so it will be fun finding all of the obscure food and regional issues. A lot of my Rickey cards are parts of sets too (My main focus is set collecting) so I have to rebuy those so I don't have to take his cards out of my set binders. And I may never get the 1977 Chong minor league card since it's rare and expensive, but the rest should be no problem. I'll do it slowly so it's a fun experience instead of just going online and buying dozens of cards at once.

Do any of you retired player collectors limit your collections to just those released during your player's career?

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I only collect the years Bernie played. Money wise its better for me being retired. I might start a pc of one of the baby bombers.

Last edited:

MatthewN

Sep 30, 2015
Coralville, IA
I primarily collect Puckett only from 1983-1999.

I find that asking myself if an available card fits the following categories, helps me prioritize my spending.

1 - 1983-1999 issued cards (with emphasis for Beckett checklisted cards)
2 - Newer stuff that *really* catches my eye
3 - Weird stuff (uncut/proofs/items like that)
4 - Deals on newer cards that have too much value to pass up

Big drop off between 1 and then 2-4 for me, and if if doesn't fit in any of those categories, I probably need/want it a lot less than my first impulse.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Do you collect Bernie's CDs that came out when he was a player too?
I just made a thread about music albums of players and posted a pic of a 2003 Bernie CD I saw a few days ago.

I seen him play in person, dont own any of his cd's. He is a very good.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I used to collect all Bobby Doerr cards but now only collect his vintage cards from his playing days (36'-51')......have just a few left to complete the run. Same with Rick Ferrell and Joe Cronin (still need a fair few for each player).

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I half heartedly collect Andre Dawson. It goes in spurts. I really only focus on his playing days cards as well. Way too many variations/copies of newer stuff. Plus I like my collection diversified. I don't want to spend $10-$20 on a gu/auto/sp/1/1 or whatever when I could put that money towards something of some other HOF'er like a 1970 Bob Gibson or something like that. I've got a handful of Dawson autos or relic cards, but just happened on them. I'm also more inclined to trade for a modern card of his than outright buy it.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Extremely tired of the overproduction of new, excessive parallels. I think the straw finally broke the camel's back. I don't own a single Topps Tribute Garvey card yet and if the prices continue the way they have been, I won't own any of them. I have seen 1/1, /10, /25, /50 & /99 and haven't won a single one. Usually by now, I own the run except for usually the 1/1. I don't even know what to think except did everyone just get stupid all of the sudden?

My player collection is not overly unique in that the player retired before the glut of late 80s/early 90s inserts, boxed sets and broders and has not been a mainstay in many of the sets lately, but I did see crushing numbers of new cards, mostly very low serial numbered parallels in endless fashion, in the mid 00s like everyone else.

I used to collect it all and I'll still make an effort, but now I really only care about the oddball stuff.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Extremely tired of the overproduction of new, excessive parallels.

Yeah, I second this. The new issues are totally out of hand. Robbie Alomar, who retired after 2004, was in 22 different sets released by Topps & Panini in 2016...totaling 242 unique cards. Uh yeah, I'm not doing this.

So I definitely prioritize cards from the playing career over new issues. For new ones I will pick a very small number (0-3) of sets from a given year that I really like, and chase them. For all other new sets I'll just get the highest print run base and inserts, and usually 6-12 months after release after the initial buying frenzy has died down and I can get an autograph for $11 delivered :)

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
I only collect Maddux from 1986-2009. There is so much material within those years. From 1/1's, test issues, proofs, to obscure regional oddball issues, collecting within the players career is a lifetime project. Also IMO, I really think the cards that were produced in the players career will always hold more value over those that were produced afterwards. As much as some of the new stuff looks great from maddux (i.e. Dynasty, etc.), there is simply too much being produced to warrant the prices that are being asked. For me it's like a 1933 Goudey Ruth vs. a 1948 Leaf Ruth. Both cards have great designs, but I would want something from that players era more than a post career card. For me a more focused collection with an end in sight is more attractive than trying to have a hoard of everything. But, that is the beauty of collecting - everyone has a different approach and idea of what they like.

Michael.petkus

Jan 30, 2016
Another factor to consider when it comes to demand of playing day cards of retired players: The PSA Set Registry focuses on the playing years for their sets. We know the rabid mindset of those looking to complete their sets in highest grade possible, which contributes to the value of playing day cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I wish I had done this..

But lately I only collect the on card auto's.. There are so many sticker auto's that I have even seen 1/1 sticker autos..

I try and collect Griffey when he was a Mariner as well..

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I've not completely stopped collecting post-career cards of my guy, but I limit it to very special things.

Kid4hof03

Jan 10, 2014
Burlington, NJ
I only collect playing days cards for all my player collections. The only exceptions I've made are the Donruss/Leaf Recollections and Topps Originals.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Brooks Robinson

Personally I only collect cards from Brooks' playing days (1957 - 1978). I have in the past thought about expanding, but the newer cards just aren't something I desire. I do collect all the other junk from that era as well, like photos, magazines, bottoms, posters, etc. so there are plenty of stuff out there to acquire.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Newer stuff too, mainly because Topps has put out so many nice on-card autos 2014-present. Before that RJ only had a few on cards 98-01, then a lot of sticker & insert autos during the 02-05 glut years.

I shy away from the stupid 5x7 oversize cards, the stupider buyback cards, and the really stupid printing plates/proofs. Sans rare Tek patterns, I limit all my new base/parallel card buying to COMC a few months after release.

Members online

Latest posts