Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do any of you collect retired players, but only cards released during their playing days?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
For my Biggio collection I decided I would try to go by year, sort of, I try to get the majority of a year before I move on. I'm missing 40 or so up until 1997 right now, another 60 from 98 and around 110 from 1999, I just hit 1400 total cards around 900 are from the 99 and prior. I'll get to the post retirement stuff eventually, except the Tek can't get enough of that, but overall I echo most of the sentiments, I don't need 11 colors of the same 2017 donruss card if I can add an inverted BC mirror image or something like that.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
Probably not what you're thinking of, but I collect a number of oddball sets from the 80s & 90s featuring then retired players, like the early 90s Kellogg's & Yoohoo sets. I'm also fond of the food issue redemption autos from the 90s such as Nabisco, Jimmy Dean, & Canadian Club featuring stars from the 60s & 70s.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Sadly no. I totally agree with and share the feeling of being overwhelmed with all the newer stuff. But it's actually really nice. I just get burned out with the cost. But after a while, you start to run out of older things you can get either because of cost or because they never surface. There are cards that have been listed and relisted on ebay for literally a decade+ because the people selling them are basically running a museum and not trying to actually sell the cards. It makes buying the older stuff when it does pop up at auction really gratifying. But if there is nothing up I need, yes I will go after newer base, gu, and autos. I think it's kinda hard to say you won't go after the newer stuff when it's as nice as it is.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Yes, collected O'Neill for many years. Stuck to his releases thru 2002. Was at about 80% or so from 93-02 Yankee issues. The newer Topps stuff seems redundant, same pictures, Photoshopped background with tons of unnecessary variations. I also enjoy the chase for the older and oddball cards whereas the newer stuff is readily available.

Latest posts