Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Contemplating Prospecting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I'm no stranger to prospecting, but I got out in 2010, sitting on my fat Nick Castellanos stash. I've been considering getting back to it, gunshy as I may be with ebay these days. Studying the Bowman checklist for a few days and trying to research. Lots of names to keep track of, being out of the game for so long. But these days...a hundred bucks just to start talking about a name prospect auto. There are sleepers with checklists this large, but guys like Maitain or Rutherford starting at $150-200+ have me reconsidering my dive back into the pool. And so many guys have autos from earlier years, definitely a new problem. And then they'll have a "RC Logo" version later on. I hate even thinking about the stupid logo, but it's a factor in pricing like it or not.

But can someone clarify things for me, since I'm not sure when I'll be looking at a pack. I saw blue autos #/125, #/150 and unnumbered. They seem to be in different subsets, with CRA-xx (Chrome Rookie Autos?) being unnumbered or #/125 and CPA-xx (Chrome Prospect Autos?) being #/150. Is that correct? Any calculations on the print run of the unnumbered cards? And are there any other twists in other color tiers?

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
The unnumbered blues are the 70th anniversary special parallel subset and I've heard that they are supposed to be #d to /50. The blue refractors autos #d to /150 are for prospect autos and the ones #d to /125 are for the RC autos.

Also, don't get turned off by the massive sales prices, when it comes to Bowman within the first week or two of release people overpay stupid amounts. A few weeks from now most of the cards will be selling for half the amount of current prices.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Look at players who are a good buy right now. Someone like I dunno, Brandon Wood. Low prices and u know he's about to hit it big. Let me know if that's where u wanna start

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
If you're just getting back in I'd focus on base autos and go from there. I still believe they are the best investment you can make between raws and gems as they start getting graded. I will jump in the deep end every now and again or when a player I like is injured.

build a bankroll in the shallow end and see where you want to go from there...just my 2 cents.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
If you're just getting back in I'd focus on base autos and go from there. I still believe they are the best investment you can make between raws and gems as they start getting graded. I will jump in the deep end every now and again or when a player I like is injured.

build a bankroll in the shallow end and see where you want to go from there...just my 2 cents.
Just stay away from Juan Soto right?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I've done more study and I think I'm now focusing on guys from 2015-16. Ducking the wave of 2017, there are plenty of "old" guys who are now advancing nicely, with better track records, and who have been somewhat forgotten about, or at least dollars are being diverted away from them. After 7 years of not really paying attention below the majors, it's a virtual ocean of information. So many names, so many increasingly exotic names that somehow blur together. There's a guy literally named "Rookie?"

And I bought a box last night. That's my fourth box altogether so far this year. I'm totally regressing. One of the least exciting boxes I've ever ripped, sadly. My auto was a base AJ Puckett. Only thing to cure it is a case of jumbos.

Last edited:

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
The market's definitely changed in the past 7 years. You've definitely got your work cut out for u if u want to get back in.

Members online