Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1996 Select Certified Red Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spcollector

Nov 11, 2009
Quick Question... is there an easy way to tell if the 1996 Select Certified Certified Red cards are "peeled" vs "unpeeled"? It's not like the '97 Pinnacle Certified or finest with the words running across. Here is the card in question (I feel like this should be easy to tell). Any help would be appreciated (I feel like a moron that I cant tell)!

Sandberg%20Cert%20Red_zpsdcotd29a.jpg

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
No 96 has a coating, not even the mirrors.
found this write up
http://blog.smalltraditions.com/jetercards/?p=17

". Like the regular cards, every one of these parallels was issued with a thin protective film, or skin, over their sensitive reflective surfaces. Removing this so-called skin is a delicate and dangerous process, but the skins tend to dull the appearance of the cards, and once removed, the cards shimmer with an undeniable luster, each more brilliant than the last. "

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
found this write up
http://blog.smalltraditions.com/jetercards/?p=17

". Like the regular cards, every one of these parallels was issued with a thin protective film, or skin, over their sensitive reflective surfaces. Removing this so-called skin is a delicate and dangerous process, but the skins tend to dull the appearance of the cards, and once removed, the cards shimmer with an undeniable luster, each more brilliant than the last. "
guess you learn something new every day.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
No 96 has a coating, not even the mirrors.
They do, but I haven't jumped off the edge to have one with and one wo one this one. Because you really can't tell and there is no text, I'm holding out on going for a second version.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
I picked up a 96 mirror blue Belle card for a great deal, and when I got it it had an ugly scuff along the bottom. Really debated just leaving it, but painstakingly peeled it off and glad I did. Made a huge difference in the appearance of the card. Wasn't an easy task, took a lot of patience I dont usually have. But would never have done it without the scuff. Personally I don't there's a huge between pell on or off unless there's scratches or scuffs on the peel.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
What's the easiest and safest way to peel them? I have a mirror gold I would love to peel. Would it help to use a blow dryer?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
I haven't tried yet, but I'd practice on some random base cards 1st. If I can find some random cards, I'll test a few.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Michael.petkus

Jan 30, 2016
The hardest part is getting it started. Once you have that small amount started, the rest goes very easily. I've started near a corner with success. Go very slow and practice on commons. It's not for the faint of heart, but the finished result is just beautiful.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
The Ryno above appears to still have it's peel.

Correct, they are tough to get started. Best thing is to practice on base cards or common APs. Beware, it is easy to split into the paper layers on the card.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
The hardest part is getting it started. Once you have that small amount started, the rest goes very easily. I've started near a corner with success. Go very slow and practice on commons. It's not for the faint of heart, but the finished result is just beautiful.

I'd agree with this. I looked closely at all the corners and had one that looked like it had a little separation, and went from there.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
if anyone is trying this, would you mind taking a pic with it halfway off so we can see it

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I just took the peel off my 97 Certified Red Thome and it looks a lot better. In addition to the scratches and the words 'peel off' on there 14 times, the peel off coating looks like an old faded soft sleeve when held up to the light.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I just took the peel off my 97 Certified Red Thome and it looks a lot better. In addition to the scratches and the words 'peel off' on there 14 times, the peel off coating looks like an old faded soft sleeve when held up to the light.

no peel off wording on the 96's :eek: musta peeled a 97'?

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
In an unrelated story, I just scored a super sweet 1/1.

Mirror Blue? Gold? Black? - Bush league

Allow me to introduce you to the super-elusive Mirror Mirror Artist Proof.
mirrormirror.jpg
mirrormirror2.jpg

Members online