Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The most irritating experience I've ever had in this hobby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I was so excited for today, I thought I would be able to post not one, but two complete rainbows at the end of today, butttttt

Last week I see a super I need to complete a rainbow pop on ebay, seller wants a very unreasonable amount but has OBO so I message and explain my offer. No cheese, were still far apart. OK, no big deal, he's going to be at the TriStar show in SF today and he'll take it, I'll bring cards and cash, we'll get something done. I accept the fact I'm going to over pay b/c you're stuck when it's a super right? So I convince my wife we should go, I reschedule a job and confirm on Wednesday with the guy that I'm going, he says sounds good. This morning we wake up and head out to SF from Modesto (about an hour and a half), I text the guy when I get to Oakland that I'm on my way. He texts back right away, "Bad news man, a guy bought all the cards I have yesterday." WTF?!?!?! I couldn't freaking believe it! Look, it's his cards, I get that, he can get rid of them if he wants, that's not y I'm mad. I'm mad because I literally changed my work schedule around to go to this show for this one specific card and dude can't even shoot me a text saying he doesn't have it anymore? I had talked to this guy on the phone, told him I have to talk to my wife and move work around to attend and he said he understood let him know and we'll work out a deal. I thought I made it perfectly clear that I would trade and pay in his favor to get this card. I ask him if he knows the guy, he gives me an ebay name so I already messaged the new owner with no reply yet. Even my wife was mad because she knew to reschedule work I really wanted this card. It's just cards but seriously a little respect for others would be nice. Plus I'm pretty irritated he didn't give me one final chance to offer before he sold it.

We needed up having a nice day after that though, took the baby to the beach. Hard to stay mad when you're sitting in Pacifica and it's damn near 80 degrees

Thoughts? Comments?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
That sucks. When it's something he knew he had someone finalizing a deal with, he should have been able to set aside for you. Maybe he can at least give you the lead to who bought it?

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
He sold his entire table. That means he probably took less than your offer.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
I'm sure. I had planned on offering way too much to get the deal done
That sucks. When it's something he knew he had someone finalizing a deal with, he should have been able to set aside for you. Maybe he can at least give you the lead to who bought it?

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector
He gave me an eBay name, I hope the guy responds to my message

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
And if anyone is curious about the rainbow here's some pics. I got the final paper one today but to complete the paper and chrome of the same card would be pretty cool,even the dumb Topps Vault blank back
991f1a773e3eb32ffbbcc43bfd712f05.jpg

66974c6bec2bfab66e891a5773378800.jpg

0e942a1ebbee726d8cd0c66f868737d7.jpg

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I'm sorry to hear that! I have a feeling this is going to work out for you, though. The buyer likely purchased to flip, so surely your reaching out to him will be music to his ears. Let us know how it works out and best of luck to you!

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I would send a picture of all the McMahon cards you have to the new ebay seller with an offer. That way, hopefully he/she considers selling it to you. I'm pulling for you as well, man!

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I'm sorry to hear that! I have a feeling this is going to work out for you, though. The buyer likely purchased to flip, so surely your reaching out to him will be music to his ears. Let us know how it works out and best of luck to you!
Thanks, BTW I looked but found no Jose. Almost everything was vintage or Bowman chrome autos
I would send a picture of all the McMahon cards you have to the new ebay seller with an offer. That way, hopefully he/she considers selling it to you. I'm pulling for you as well, man!
Great idea! Thanks for the positive thoughts sir

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Bummer. But like a few others have said, you might still be able to get it. Good luck.

Awesome rainbow by the way. I'm not sure any set should have THAT many parallels, but that's another question. Nice that you have almost all of them.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I would be totally upset too! Hopefully you get in contact with the buyer, who will not be the unthinking person who previously had the card. Maybe you will even get a better deal on it!!!
DANNY

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
People are strange, as the Doors said in their song.

I have run into a lot of helpful and thoughtful folks, but there are as many or more who couldn't give two rips about you or your needs. One example I will cite is a BIN/BO situation where I have made multiple offers to a number of sellers over a period of time and a fair price only to be turned down each time. I would then eventually shoot them a message saying if they ever do decide to sell at my offering price, to please let me know as I am a sure thing buyer at that price. On more than one occasion, I have gone back to see that they sold the item FOR LESS THAN I OFFERED to someone else? Spite, short memory, clueless or just don't care. Not sure which drove the decisions in my cases, but stupidity comes to mind when you get less than you were previously offered!

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
People are strange, as the Doors said in their song.

I have run into a lot of helpful and thoughtful folks, but there are as many or more who couldn't give two rips about you or your needs. One example I will cite is a BIN/BO situation where I have made multiple offers to a number of sellers over a period of time and a fair price only to be turned down each time. I would then eventually shoot them a message saying if they ever do decide to sell at my offering price, to please let me know as I am a sure thing buyer at that price. On more than one occasion, I have gone back to see that they sold the item FOR LESS THAN I OFFERED to someone else? Spite, short memory, clueless or just don't care. Not sure which drove the decisions in my cases, but stupidity comes to mind when you get less than you were previously offered!
I have gotta say I've met far more great people, especially here, in the hobby than jerks

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Someone dicking around declining my offer without even a counter, then holding it for months, then selling it for less than even my lowest original offer, is one of my huge ebay/hobby geargrinders. Setting up plans only to have them cancel is a big pain in life in general. Setting up plans only to have them cancel without sending me any kind of message, leaving it for me to discover, is just terminally bad behavior. Combining all these things into one flaming garbage pile of an interaction is just about the worst thing that can happen without anything actually getting hurt or lost.

Members online