Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jackie Robinson Signed College Yearbook

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Hey all,

As some of you may know, I've been building a collection that chronicles Jackie Robinson's career, with particular focus on integration.

One of the things that I've always found interesting is the fact that long before 1947 and the Dodgers, Jackie played on integrated teams in college and the like.

On that note, I'm pretty excited about this pick-up. It's a full 10 years earlier than his joining the Dodgers and represents his first college experience. As was the case when Jackie was in high-school, his college teams were largely made up of white players.

The yearbook also has a signature from Mack Robinson, Jackie's brother, who won a silver metal in the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.

Attachments

• 1937 Pasadena City College Cover.jpg
    1937 Pasadena City College Cover.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Jackie Signature.jpg
    Jackie Signature.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 1937 Pasadena City College Page 70.jpg
    1937 Pasadena City College Page 70.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 1937 Pasadena City College Mack Robinson.jpg
    1937 Pasadena City College Mack Robinson.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 33

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I have a couple non-sport related yearbooks from around this time but yours is gorgeous. Is the red binding original?

It matches others copies that are floating around so I am pretty confident it is original.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Bout as good as it gets. Nice addition!

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Thanks!

That's awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Thanks!

You're building up a cooperstown like collection. This stuff is so much more interesting than any cards. Must be awesome to hold history like that. Congrats on the pickup

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I appreciate that. Everyone collects what they find interesting, but for me I've definitely moved more in the direction of items that tell a story that (to me) matters. For me, chronicling Jackie's story from College to the ***** Leagues, to Montreal in the Minor Leagues and finally to MLB success is one that is meaningful. It's amazing to me how he went from being integrated in High-School, college and the military, and then had to deal with the dividing line when it came to Major League Baseball.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
AMAZING, Thats a museum piece.
Congrats.

Thanks! Starting to at least think about building a website that chronicles the stories around the pieces. For me, this captures some of the complexity regarding sports and race relations, because even at this early stage, in College Jackie was playing on mixed teams.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts