Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1992 Ace Prototype

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
I'd love to see pictures of these cards if you have them. These cards have always fascinated me and it's been awesome seeing new ones surface on eBay recently. It took me a very long time to finally find all four confirmed Puckett's. I'm missing the blank front/back cards, but am not holding out hope that I'll be able to find them. I love the design of these cards and consider them on par or better than some of the official 1992 releases.

#229 (White border with Trivia Question on back)
Ace '92 - 229a.jpg Ace '92 - 229b.jpg

#307 (English Version)
Ace '92 - 443a.jpg Ace '92 - 307b.jpg

#443 (French Version)
Ace '92 - 307a.jpg Ace '92 - 443b.jpg

Not Numbered (Slugging Percentage)
Ace '92 - SPa.jpg Ace '92 - SPb.jpg

The slugging percentage card is pretty sweet because it breaks down how to calculate slugging percentage on the back.

Last edited:

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Very nice Jeremy. I would post mine but since they are the same I won't bother. I would love to see some other people's though.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Here are mine!

Untitled-11.jpg

It is important to note that the finished prototypes have a glossy finish, whereas the pre-production prototypes have a matte finish. I was quite cold to these cards when I first saw them, but am proud to say I'm 100% on the Ace Novelty Prototype bandwagon!

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
Here are mine!

Untitled-11.jpg

It is important to note that the finished prototypes have a glossy finish, whereas the pre-production prototypes have a matte finish. I was quite cold to these cards when I first saw them, but am proud to say I'm 100% on the Ace Novelty Prototype bandwagon!

Those Canseco's are sweet! Thanks for sharing! I'm glad you're on board with these prototypes now. I've loved them since checking the first one of four Puckett's off my list.

I have no idea why Puckett fans seem to have known about them before others. I remember seeing one of the Nolan Ryan's before I ever saw a Puckett. I think what you posted in the Clark thread makes sense. A Puckett fan probably caught wind of them, had them or saw them and updated a checklist that made it's rounds to others. Either way, this set is amazing imo.

Lemieux66

Apr 28, 2014
After seeing the 1992 Ace Prototypes mentioned on the forum I picked these up yesterday, so these are edited versions of the seller's photos. Van Slyke was my favorite Pirate back in the 90s and I've been going back and picking up his harder to find cards. I have no idea if he has other versions like Canseco and Puckett, but I would love to pick up one of the "true" prototype cards with the front and back together.

1992_Ace_Novelty_Prototype_654_Andy_Van_Slyke_Front_1.png 1992_Ace_Novelty_Prototype_654_Andy_Van_Slyke_Back_1.png

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Those Canseco's are sweet! Thanks for sharing! I'm glad you're on board with these prototypes now. I've loved them since checking the first one of four Puckett's off my list.

I have no idea why Puckett fans seem to have known about them before others. I remember seeing one of the Nolan Ryan's before I ever saw a Puckett. I think what you posted in the Clark thread makes sense. A Puckett fan probably caught wind of them, had them or saw them and updated a checklist that made it's rounds to others. Either way, this set is amazing imo.

Thanks! I really didn't understand previously, but after reading about their history, and seeing only a small handful over the past decade having ever surfaced, I was on board full force. I wonder if a "real" Japanese version and a "saved by the bell" variation of Canseco exist. I understand they very well made have been made, (especially the Japanese version) but who knows if they still exist.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Sadly not to my knowledge!

I might pay actual money for a confirmed checklist. I might lose sleep knowing at least 3 other Clark ones could exist. I'm loving my one, but now it just makes me think there is surely other variations. Did you get that white border Canseco from the seller too?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Thanks! I really didn't understand previously, but after reading about their history, and seeing only a small handful over the past decade having ever surfaced, I was on board full force. I wonder if a "real" Japanese version and a "saved by the bell" variation of Canseco exist. I understand they very well made have been made, (especially the Japanese version) but who knows if they still exist.

I think the hobby, no, the WORLD, needs a "saved by the bell" refractor.

DTA

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I might pay actual money for a confirmed checklist. I might lose sleep knowing at least 3 other Clark ones could exist. I'm loving my one, but now it just makes me think there is surely other variations. Did you get that white border Canseco from the seller too?

You are a sick man, Nolan. (I may go halvesies with you for a checklist!) Yes, I'm now friends with the seller and got the white border as well.

I think the hobby, no, the WORLD, needs a "saved by the bell" refractor.

DTA

I think you are correct. As a matter of fact, while I have not done a refractor, I have done a card!

zack.jpg

http://tanmanbaseballfan.com/2016/01/1991-92-skybox-derek-jeter.html

Lemieux66

Apr 28, 2014
I picked up two Van Slyke promos. I'm not sure if he has any other variations in the set.

If anybody sees any other Van Slykes (promos like these or the one-sided pre-productions) I would love to add them to my collection.

1992 Ace Novelty Prototypes Andy Van Slyke Fronts.png

1992 Ace Novelty Prototypes Andy Van Slyke Backs.png

Members online

Latest posts