Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This maybe a little uncomfortable conversation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
This might border on going into the "anything goes" section but I removed myself from that.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/red-sox-permanently-ban-fan-racial-slur-fan-47192798

I am half Mexican, half white (mostly Irish), I hate racism, I've heard racist stuff, it's disgusting. A lifetime ban? I feel this is an overreaction from the Adam Jones situation. Where does the slippery slope end? If a fan talks about a player's wife? Mom? Kids? I've been to several games where fans of said awful things to players. I went to a Yankees/A's game where a fan said terrible things to Dewayne Wise in front of security and nothing happened. I think kicking a guy out for one game is fine, but lifetime just seems ridiculous to me

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
They are trying to make a statement. Frankly not sure how they can actually enforce it short of facial recognition software, which I don't think they are using at the games.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Yeah I agree with MisterT, they are making a statement that it is not being taken lightly and are setting the bar high. If they just sat back and did nothing, then other people will think if that guy only got a game or two suspension, then I'll do it too since the punishment wasn't that bad.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Calvin Hennick, a Boston resident bringing his son to his first Red Sox game as a present for his sixth birthday, wrote on Facebook and confirmed to The Associated Press on Wednesday night that a neighboring fan used a variant of the N-word when referring to the national anthem singer. Surprised, Hennick asked him to repeat it, and the other fan did.

To the fan that was banned, bye *****. To the father that took a stand, cheers to you.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
When I clicked on this post, I immediately got anxious ... "what is Anthony going to say???" LOL

I made a post on BO about Adam Jones getting called a racial slur, and it skyrocketed to 9 pages before being taken down. I truthfully don't think they can enforce it, and while it may be harsh for name calling, I can't get over how vile people can be sometimes. I don't understand what would make someone say that to someone else.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Calvin Hennick, a Boston resident bringing his son to his first Red Sox game as a present for his sixth birthday, wrote on Facebook and confirmed to The Associated Press on Wednesday night that a neighboring fan used a variant of the N-word when referring to the national anthem singer. Surprised, Hennick asked him to repeat it, and the other fan did.

To the fan that was banned, bye *****. To the father that took a stand, cheers to you.
I agree but why don't people report fans yelling the f word? I've heard ARod called a lot of terrible things and people just laughed. I've even heard terrible gay slurs and nothing was said to those fans

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I agree but why don't people report fans yelling the f word? I've heard ARod called a lot of terrible things and people just laughed. I've even heard terrible gay slurs and nothing was said to those fans

I agree with you. As a father, it is actually pretty uncomfortable to be in the stands with my kids. I get the whole free speech thing, but as I learned in school, your right to swing your arm stops at the tip of my nose. Same is true for hateful language directed at a player (or any other person) . I know it is a gray line, but it is not the same as someone yelling "oh $#%^" when someone hits a home run off your team.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I go to Fenway a couple times each year, I love it and mostly I love the energy and atmosphere but Boston is not known for being the most progressive place. One or twice a game for the past 5 or 6 years they announce how to remove a fan that is disturbing you or being generally ridiculous. The ban was most certainly a way for Sox brass to say hey look at us we're not taking this, but the rest of it falls to the fans. I've never called security but I've seen dozens removed through the years. There's nearly 40000 people in the stadium, security isn't going to hear or see everyone and everything

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014

They should and I have seen it numerous times at games, when adults can not act like adults with children around. The problem with not saying something about it is, the next game the family decides to stay home and the knuckleheads fill the void. This is the exact reason, I will never take my kids to a NFL game.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
They should and I have seen it numerous times at games, when adults can not act like adults with children around. The problem with not saying something about it is, the next game the family decides to stay home and the knuckleheads fill the void. This is the exact reason, I will never take my kids to a NFL game.
Bro, I've been to raiders games. After a KC game, I said never again. I have thought about possibly going to the Giants/Niners game this year but I've pretty much purged the nfl from my life

Jul 22, 2016
I got to be honest, when I first heard the story about Jones being called the n word I didnt believe it. I thought it was just made up because I didnt think anyone would do that. I guess I was wrong. I have never come across any foul language towards players at any baseball game. I admit Dodger fans can be obnoxious and loud but Ive never seen anyone taunt a player. In Anaheim all fans are respectable. Maybe Im sitting in the better seats and havent experienced it. There was a good book I read about Jackie Robinson that had tons of stories about that time period and what he went through. It was so fascinating. Ill find the name and post it. Its an eye opener to a lot of things.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Bro, I've been to raiders games. After a KC game, I said never again. I have thought about possibly going to the Giants/Niners game this year but I've pretty much purged the nfl from my life

This is what I want to avoid with my kids. I grew up going to baseball games and it fostered a love for the game. The sights, smells and sounds, I was sold on it all. If the sights were fighting fans, smells of drunks and sounds of verbal abuse, I would have missed everything that baseball has to offer. Just like my kids will miss out on what the NFL has to offer because it has long been out of control.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
This is what I want to avoid with my kids. I grew up going to baseball games and it fostered a love for the game. The sights, smells and sounds, I was sold on it all. If the sights were fighting fans, smells of drunks and sounds of verbal abuse, I would have missed everything that baseball has to offer. Just like my kids will miss out on what the NFL has to offer because it has long been out of control.
Not to offer excuses for a holes but the whole tailgating for hours and drinking from 7 until a game starts adds to a lot of the NFL crap. I have thought about posting a thread to get people's opinions if they think the NFL might go away with all it's negative news from concussions to domestic abuse scandals.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
If they reported fans yelling the f word, I could imagine someone starting "the wave" with everyone yelling the f word when it was his/her turn. What would security do then?

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
If they reported fans yelling the f word, I could imagine someone starting "the wave" with everyone yelling the f word when it was his/her turn. What would security do then?

Big difference between cursing at a game and verbal abuse towards other fans and players.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I'm fine with someone yelling insults at someone because of their actions. I don't like it because hell I don't like my own actions either.

I'm not okay with yelling at someone because of a race or color.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Frankly not sure how they can actually enforce it short of facial recognition software, which I don't think they are using at the games.

the clubs I've read articles on ban people from buying season tickets or ticket packs (since they get your name and contact info for those).

I suppose the Red Sox will ban sales to that person of packs that need contact info, and I'm sure they could go as far as banning online individual ticket sales to that person if they know their MLB account login name. I doubt he'll be banned from the park if he buys a scalped ticket or a ticket from a walk-up window or ticketmaster where they don't need to have the purchasers name or contact info in order to ID him to ban him.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
When I clicked on this post, I immediately got anxious ... "what is Anthony going to say???" LOL

I made a post on BO about Adam Jones getting called a racial slur, and it skyrocketed to 9 pages before being taken down. I truthfully don't think they can enforce it, and while it may be harsh for name calling, I can't get over how vile people can be sometimes. I don't understand what would make someone say that to someone else.

Right here is why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JbGC1Ine6M

Last edited:

Members online