Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

It has begun.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Well, peeps - it's happening. Bowman is now releasing autograph-only boxes. Is this the beginning of our hobby turning upside down? In this cardboard enthusiast's opinion, the answer is YES.

In the year 2020, we will see this as the norm, where every single card of every single product is autographed...except for the case hit: A non-autographed base card.

Before you know it, the card companies will turn every single living player (current and former) into Pete Rose - that is, it will be tough to find a card NOT autographed of any given player. This will also change the game.

Pitchers will be taken out of the 3rd inning due to arm fatigue for fear of them not being able to sign thousands of autograph stickers the next day. Each player will be given 9 jerseys to wear each game. In between
innings, each player will run to the locker room to change into a new jersey and feed their old jersey to "The Cutter" - a machine that automatically cuts the jersey up into 2,000 square inch jersey swatch squares and 200 "prime" two square inch patch squares. (20 points to anyone who knows what this really is.)

thecutter.jpg

Stories will surface that former fan favorite baseball players with financial troubles are being chained to a desk to churn out 10,000 autographs a day, without any time to see sunlight. An assortment of blue, black, red, gold
and silver markers are given to them, along with a number of statistical inscriptions, catch phrases and nicknames to write. Because of this, human rights activist groups will form to force the hand of card companies to be
more humane to the players. New evidence will show that three acres of amazon rain forest is destroyed EACH DAY to make sports cards, the cards will now be made of 100% recycled paper. That's right, folks - say goodbye to your gorgeous refractors and say hello to the recyclefractor.

recyclefractor.jpg

Sadly, it will not end there, either. Government will mandate all kinds of restrictions, which need to be clearly shown on the box. Here is what our new hobby boxes will look like.

box.jpg

Mark my words.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
That's a dalek, and Leaf has already been doing auto only boxes for years now.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
That's a dalek, and Leaf has already been doing auto only boxes for years now.

20 points to you! Though, I'm going to have to be clear here this is the SAME 20 points as you got on the other forum :)

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have a lot of money into my collection, but I have always said it was for the enjoyment (read: Not an investment). In fact, I am pretty sure that it has become an addiction for me now and I say this in all seriousness. I see frequent attempts to stop gathering crap end in failure, often with weekends of me just searching for stuff I have not looked for in a long time or ever before just to have something new coming in the door. I know in the back of my mind though that I can squeeze some dough out of this pile if I needed to do so.

That said, I would have been much happier if the values of everything good had not risen or skyrocketed and when it comes to autographs, I would have been just fine if everyone signed like it meant nothing. I'd rather have the signature for free (or cheap), then not have it at all because I canb't/won't afford it of the players think someone just wants to make a few bucks off them.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
My first thought is 2001 SP Game Bat or whatever it was called when there was a "game used" bat card in each pack. It was real hot at first but the novelty wore off real fast. Maybe it would be cool to open a pack that had 3 autographs, or how many will come in a pack, but for me the thrill of this hobby is the hunt. Even if it's a simpler card, maybe not a cool or glitzy as a high end something or other if it takes longer to find I usually take more pleasure in it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts