User Tag List

Thread: Fergie IP auto giveaway

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fergie IP auto giveaway

Last year I was supposed to work an event where Ferguson Jenkins was going to appear, and I had asked for cards for a 50/50. Member @cbrandtw sent a bunch without wanting any back, but said to give a couple away on here. Well, Fergie canceled due to some personal issues but I knew I'd see him again, and @cbrandtw was nice enough to tell me to keep the cards in case I did. Yesterday that same event came around and true to his word Fergie came this year. I spent a lot of time with him getting stuff signed and just BSing in general, which was awesome, but I digress...

Let's get back to what y'all are here for, some free Fergie autos!
    @cbrandtw and I discussed the best way to give the cards away and we decided that one would go to member who correctly answers a Fergie-centric trivia question and the second card would be randomed off to everyone who replies to the thread before I crown the trivia winner.
    The cards...

I asked Fergie a ton of questions when I hung out with him, when you can pick a HOFers brain, you do it! Lol so the trivia question is:

When I asked Fergie who he loved to face that everyone else hated to face what was the first name he responded with? (Aka what feared hitter of Fergies time did he just own?)

The first correct response gets one of the cards, the second gets randomed off to everyone who ventures a guess...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job on the Fergie Auto's.. Not in for the auto.. (since I have a few already) so give it to someone who doesn't..
    As for what batter he hated facing.. I'll go with Rod Carew..

I just happen to win this yesterday..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fergie.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	69906

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also met him at a signing a few years back. He played for the Harlem Globetrotters, a fun fact I didn't know before.

I will guess George Brett. I don't need the auto in case I am correct, It can go to a 2nd random winner if you want.

cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huge fan of fergie ....though i no longer do much with ip/ttm autos he was one of the few i did target back in my high school days in the mid-80's....i was amazed when i compared the 82 donruss auto i got through the mail back then to the recollection collection auto of that same card i found on ebay around 2005....beautiful signatures that were practically twins (except for the color of the ink used) despite being signed roughly two decades apart....

as for the trivia contest , i'm torn between early years (NL) or later years (AL) but i'll take a stab and go with willie stargell.....
    Looking for South Carolina Gamec0cks (I collect ALL , but top priorities are Renaldo Balkman , Steve Pearce , Dunta Robinson , Ko Simpson , Marcus Robinson , John Abraham , Fred Bennett , Johnathan Joseph , Syvelle Newton , Cory Boyd , Troy Williamson , Jared Cook , Duce Staley , Kenny McKinley , and Sidney Rice)
    Master set projects : football : 2000 Finest , 2001 Bowman's Best , and 2004 Fleer Tradition - baseball : 2002 Topps Chrome and 2007 Topps

aarne13
     Aarne13
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Canadian Kid!

Rod Carew?
    Blue Jays Collection

Collecting- Marcus Knecht, John Olerud, certified Jays autos
    Also looking for 2007 Bowman Chrome Shane Benson Gold Refractors Currently have 21/50.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a Rangers fan, I'd love to win one of those Fergie cards.
    My guess is Reggie Jackson.
    Thanks!
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably a HOF'er like Carew who played pretty much the entire span that Fergies career was, but I'm going to go off-the-wall and guess Dick Allen. He had some monster years in the late 60's early 70's when they were both in the NL.

I've gotten Fergies auto a lot living in Illinois, he appears at places/games I'm at, so if I win, give it to someone who's a fan and hasn't gotten the opportunity to meet him. He is truely a great person, fiendly, humble, and makes every fan who waits in his line feel like he's there only for them.
    Last edited by swish54_99; 05-09-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swish54_99 View Post
    It's probably a HOF'er like Carew who played pretty much the entire span that Fergies career was, but I'm going to go off-the-wall and guess Dick Allen. He had some monster years in the late 60's early 70's when they were both in the NL.

I've gotten Fergies auto a lot living in Illinois, he appears at places/games I'm at, so if I win, give it to someone who's a fan and hasn't gotten the opportunity to meet him. He is truely a great person, fiendly, humble, and makes every fan who waits in his line feel like he's there only for them.
    Reminds me of how Buck O'Neil used to be.. super friendly and always had time for a fan..

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    As a Rangers fan, I'd love to win one of those Fergie cards.
    My guess is Reggie Jackson.
    Thanks!
    Didn't think we'd have a winner so fast, but there it is! His exact quote about Reggie was that "I could just throw my glove up there..."

Please pm me your address and I'll get it sent out soon

Everyone else will go into a random and I will announce that later when I have time to do it

For what it's worth, he also mentioned Rick Dempsey as an easy out and one other I can't remember. As far as who he hated facing he said no one...but the Pirates had good teams back then

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to guess Aaron judge

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
    Didn't think we'd have a winner so fast, but there it is! His exact quote about Reggie was that "I could just throw my glove up there..."

Please pm me your address and I'll get it sent out soon.
    Awesome! PM sent. Thanks!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Received the Fergie autograph today.
    Thanks again, MrMet!