Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Just hit a milestone. 5000 unique Juan's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't blame you. It gets to be too much when every new brand is packed with a bunch of low print run issues and everyone wants one, so the competition is always there. I feel like I can't be away from eBay for even a day and even then, more and more people are using BIN and I miss crap all the time because I am at work or asleep for most of my life! There must be people that either check eBay constantly or they have some sort of alert that tells them when new items list. To me, that has taken it too far. I don't think my player has even reached 1500 "officially" recognized cards either. I would never seriously collect a single player now that was active or recently retired. Too much work, not enough fun.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I don't blame you. It gets to be too much when every new brand is packed with a bunch of low print run issues and everyone wants one, so the competition is always there. I feel like I can't be away from eBay for even a day and even then, more and more people are using BIN and I miss crap all the time because I am at work or asleep for most of my life! There must be people that either check eBay constantly or they have some sort of alert that tells them when new items list. To me, that has taken it too far. I don't think my player has even reached 1500 "officially" recognized cards either. I would never seriously collect a single player now that was active or recently retired. Too much work, not enough fun.
Although some of your points are valid, if you took out/didn't care about the things that make you upset, but focus on what makes you happy, can't you still have fun? Even if reshaping the collecting pattern you've had, maybe go into other categories etc. I think there are enough options to go. But that's just my opinion.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
For nearly as long as collecting has been around, at least related to trading cards, the primary goal for most was to COMPLETE their collection. That might be to obtain all of the cards in a series, set, league or team. Then there are those that chase type "sets", a variety of special subsets, award winners (all 3000 hit club members for example), HOFers and then of course, getting everything that was issued of a certain player. I'm sure plenty of people collect to a level of randomness, but I would bet the majority are looking to complete something.

I still enjoy collecting a wide variety of things, but player collecting specifically for me personally (and a lot of others based on numerous comments I see online) has really gotten frustrating and it is the direct result of a major change in how cards are marketed, sold and collected now. Collectors can adapt to the changing market, like the card makers have had to do. You can limit yourself to certain sets, cards issued only during playing days (or only after retirement) or a number of other rules to help justify, but in the end, you have to compromise somehow from your original goal, which was to collect to completion! Even that may fade with more time. I think many of us feeling this way were collecting before inserts, serial numbers and auto/Memorabilia cards. Those born into this current type of collecting climate may feel completely different and could be much more willing and able to adapt their collecting habits than the "old schoolers".

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I am one of the collectors your referring to that wants to complete everything. But because I don't really like 2010+ stuff, I concentrate on filling everything of 1986-2009 of Clark. If I add any 2010+ items so be it, but I'm not going to let the dislike of the newer years effect having fun on the things I really like.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Members online