Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bryce Harper Signs $21.65M Extension Through 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Seems like a solid deal to avoid arbitration but I would avoid the free agency chase that will follow, some team will over pay and offer too long on terms.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
He's going to look nice in pinstripes.

It's a small market for the type of contract he will command and I think the Yankees would be smart to avoid it but I guess we will see if they have learned anything from offering bad contracts in the past.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
It's a small market for the type of contract he will command and I think the Yankees would be smart to avoid it but I guess we will see if they have learned anything from offering bad contracts in the past.

He's going to get paid silly money with 10+ years attached to it so whoever falls for the trap will be regretting it down the line. Can't think of a single long term (7+ years) free agent signing that has ended up working out for the team.

johnryno

Mar 23, 2017
Country Club of Maryland
He's going to get paid silly money with 10+ years attached to it so whoever falls for the trap will be regretting it down the line. Can't think of a single long term (7+ years) free agent signing that has ended up working out for the team.

money.gif

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008

Jeter worked out fine.

The difference between Harper and most free agents will be his age when he hits the market.
A 7-year deal is always risky but for a 30 year old it almost never pans out. For a star in his mid 20's it's much less crazy. Of course the price tag will be insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Jeter worked out fine.

The difference between Harper and most free agents will be his age when he hits the market.
A 7-year deal is always risky but for a 30 year old it almost never pans out. For a star in his mid 20's it's much less crazy. Of course the price tag will be insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Regardless, no team will be able to sign Harper to deal for a duration of less than 12 years because all the big market teams will be competing to give him the largest sum of money, as in all likelihood he's going to sign with whichever team gives him the biggest contract. He's already been quoted as to be asking for a contract in the $500-$750 million range & with Boras as his agent you can bet he's going to do everything in his power to make sure it gets as close to that number as possible. Players don't always get the contracts they are seeking but sources all over the place don't believe he'll get anything less than $400 million. Since he'll only be 26 when he becomes a free agent he'll have more good years than most but even so, if he ends up with a contract similar to the length of Stanton's (13 years) those final years are going to kill the signing team.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
People always assume that, but major free agents have rarely gone to the Yankees in recent years.

This is actually true. As of late they've actually been putting more focus on developing talent via the farm system. Recent trades have certainly upgraded their minor league system.

Yankees have just become a default response to big free agent signings because they have the money necessary and have shown the willingness in past years.

Members online