Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Retired numbers...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
With Jeters retirement coming up, does anyone know who the first number retired in baseball belongs to? It's not something I'd thought about before but I recently read an article and thought it was interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
What are the Yankees going to do in 200 or 300 years when they don't have 9 numbers left to use? Jeter will be the 22nd number taken off the table.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Sorry...I'm old. :benson:

Haha it's all good...

Here's some of the interesting info from the article
947125654e1532ecce8693f499ae5d2b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What are the Yankees going to do in 200 or 300 years when they don't have 9 numbers left to use? Jeter will be the 22nd number taken off the table.
According to the Super Nintendo video game, Super Baseball 2020, in three years baseball will be played entirely by robots and androids, so the numbering can start over.

32774-2020_Super_Baseball_(Japan)-1458965198.jpg

51229_front.jpg

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
What is the only single digit number not retired by the Yankees?

Still trying to figure out why they retired #2 tonight - I suppose to make money off jeter number retirement merch and boost ticket sales and charge more than a normal ticket price. If it was the fact Jeter was a great player, it should have been done pretty quickly after retirement instead of years after his retirement.

BTW, I heard #99 will be retired later this year. ;)

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia

Still trying to figure out why they retired #2 tonight - I suppose to make money off jeter number retirement merch and boost ticket sales and charge more than a normal ticket price. If it was the fact Jeter was a great player, it should have been done pretty quickly after retirement instead of years after his retirement.

BTW, I heard #99 will be retired later this year. ;)

do you not agree with the Yankees Baseball Club retiring Jeter's number?

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If it was the fact Jeter was a great player, it should have been done pretty quickly after retirement instead of years after his retirement.
Players' numbers are often retired several years after retirement. It doesn't make them any less great.

Since you're a Dodgers fan, here are some examples:

Sandy Koufax's number was retired in 1972, six years after his final game.
Duke Snider's number in 1980, 18 years after.
Pee Wee Reese's number in 1984, 25 years after.
Don Drysdale's number in 1984, 15 years later.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
do you not agree with the Yankees Baseball Club retiring Jeter's number?

Should have retired it in May 2016. Maybe Jeter retirement sales were too hot to retire his number at that time so the Yankees waited to retire his number so they could get a second surge of merch sales and a surge of attendance and interest in the team.

OTOH, maybe Jeter's number shouldn't have been retired until 2020 since the Yankees retired the number of someone who is not yet a Hall of Famer.

Regarding the other post about dodgers retired number seasons, it seems obvious to me the Dodgers wait to retire a number until that player is a Hall of Famer (since the numbers were retired the seasons the players made the HOF).

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
The Red Sox also typically wait until someone is in the Baseball HOF to retire their number, Johnny Pesky being the exception, but they are going to jump the shark this year too with Big Papi's 34 going on the upper facade in right field. I would have preferred if they waited until Cooperstown called.

Members online