Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Junk wax era gems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
That's got to be shilled beyond belief. A BBCE sealed 1980 Topps wax box is only $900.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
That's got to be shilled beyond belief. A BBCE sealed 1980 Topps wax box is only $900.

I don't know if you have opened any early 80s wax but the cards do not come out even remotely clean. I opened a box of 87 Donruss and I only pulled like 5 cards that I would even think about sending in. Everything else was horribly miscut. 6 people bid 20k + so I'm going to say that's pretty legit. Never mind snipes that didn't register too

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I definitely wouldn't consider 1980 Topps "junk wax." Wax boxes cost a small fortune and aren't remotely as common as boxes from the late '80s, which is the actual junk wax era.

Junk wax refers to wax boxes that sit on dealers' tables by the caseload for $5-$20 a box, not an uncommon box that sells for up to a grand.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
1980 Topps centering always confuses me, but maybe that was considered a legit and perfectly centered 10? I remember hearing grumblings that some Rickey 10s aren't perfect. And I looked at some recent Rickey card sales posted on the collectors thread, and couldn't believe how strong the prices were. I didn't realize he commanded those kinds of prices.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
How many boxes do you think you'd have to bust to pull a Rickey Gem? Enough to cover this price I'm sure. Anyone got the pop report handy?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
1980 Topps centering always confuses me, but maybe that was considered a legit and perfectly centered 10? I remember hearing grumblings that some Rickey 10s aren't perfect. And I looked at some recent Rickey card sales posted on the collectors thread, and couldn't believe how strong the prices were. I didn't realize he commanded those kinds of prices.
Well even 10s arent "perfect"

Sent from my VK810 4G using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
There have been 16,263 1980 Topps #482 Rickey Henderson cards graded.. and there are "17" PSA 10's..

So yes the rarity of a PSA 10 is why collectors will pay over $25K..

Jul 22, 2016
That Henderson has been tough. I have bought two vending boxes and shut out on both and most cards see a 9 max if you feel inclined to grade. I busted an 8 out to display in my personal set. 1980 is one of my faves.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
That Henderson has been tough. I have bought two vending boxes and shut out on both and most cards see a 9 max if you feel inclined to grade. I busted an 8 out to display in my personal set. 1980 is one of my faves.

That's crazy. Are you sure the vending boxes weren't searched?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Rickey rookie are notoriously OC in every direction. That one is pretty good L/R and maybe a little low, but the focus of the image is also above average. I don't know if that really affects the grade, but at least the scan makes it look sharper than most. Is it worth $26.3K? Well we always say a card is worth what someone would pay for it, so....

Jul 22, 2016
That's crazy. Are you sure the vending boxes weren't searched?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
Could have been. Got 1 from Fritsch and 1 from NESC. I dont really know. I got a 77 vending from Fritsch at the same time and I remember getting 2 Dawsons 2 Murphys and 2 Roses. I hit 9s on one of each. This was late 90s. Was bummed about both 80s though. The bricks were tight so im not 100 percent sure not searched

Michael.petkus

Jan 30, 2016
As to if a vending box is searched, keep in mind, it's a 726 card set and there are 500 cards in a vending box. There are no guarantees to have a Henderson. Of course it is possible.

Vending is traditionally some of the hardest sources to pull a 10 (versus wax or cello). Tight packing of cards, especially condition sensitive near the ends, and it's 37 years old. Quality control was awful back then so OC cards, gum stains, soft corners, and chipped edges make it near impossible to land a 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Members online