Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bragging Rights: Who has the best modern card on the forum?

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the $ and luck pieces factor in hugely into having some killer cards, however, the luck portion can manifest itself in many ways. IE "The harder I work, the luckier I get" I'm not talking harder work to get money; I'm talking harder work to find gems. If there is one thing I've learned about being a supercollector of a coveted player (by some, not all, lol!) it is that while it does take moola to get there, landing special cards can also be done by hard work of digging for them, patience and creativity.

This thread is no doubt an eye candy piece that is likely asking for us to show off pieces that have mass appeal, so while my 1992 Ultra boardroom prototypes unquestionably blow the doors off of a Trout auto or Ruth relic, I have a sneaking suspicion the majority of the collecting community may not share my sentiments

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!
    Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know! www.CansecoCollector.com

BunchOBull
     BigHurtHOF
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I may have many cards more scarce or more valuable, almost nothing in my collection tops the following card.

Frank's first "high-end", serial numbered insert card from the 2nd series of the first high-end insert set ever produced. Jersey numbered...I collect for this kind of reason.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Big Hurt Elite is SICKNASTY!

And @mouschi, the horizontal boardroom prototype is nice.

One of my favorite cards...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails faulk.jpg  
    Eddie

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are the best of my best. Many are gone but it sure was fun to hit them at one time.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    I collect lots of things. Things that catch my eye. If you got what I need, please let me know

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just picked up a beautiful Gwynn gamer bat. Ill post some pics soon

For what it's worth, @jcmint does his "pick up threads" and I am serious, every card is pretty drool worthy, in pretty much every sport. Example:
    http://www.freedomcardboard.com/foru...hlight=gretzky

I do not think I could nominate only one card![/QUOTE]
    [B][SIZE=3]

JCMINT01 IS NOW TAKING CONSIGNMENTS. ANY COLLECTION/LOT BIG OR SMALL.
    PM ME FOR DETAILS.

My current hot RC EBAY auctions. http://www.ebay.com/sch/jcmint01/m.h...&_sop=1&_rdc=1

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll nominate the Jeter Nameplate. Think it's a cool card that you rarely see
    Last edited by jcmint; 05-18-2017 at 10:02 AM.
    [B][SIZE=3]

JCMINT01 IS NOW TAKING CONSIGNMENTS. ANY COLLECTION/LOT BIG OR SMALL.
    PM ME FOR DETAILS.

My current hot RC EBAY auctions. http://www.ebay.com/sch/jcmint01/m.h...&_sop=1&_rdc=1

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has nothing to do with putting in work or effort. My response was a direct answer to the original thread's question of who has the best modern card. Any card that is good enough to win best modern card will either be obtained by luck or will have been paid for with a sizable sum of money. I suppose there is a small fraction of a chance that someone wheeled and sealed for a card of that magnitude (also luck in my opinion if that is the case), but then we'd all chant that the new owner is a d-bag who ripped off the previous owner. That is just the reality of the lottery pack mentality/market we now find ourselves collecting within. It's no longer who will pull the first Mickey Mantle of the neighborhood (and eventually we'll all have one or more if we keep buying packs), it is now who will be lucky enough to pull the Babe Ruth cut auto, button, cleat, jersey patch, hat, hair, tooth mega relic 1/1 that we can immediately turn around and sell for $10K.

I didn't say there weren't good cards that could be found with work and some wheeling and dealing, but to 'WIN" this thread, you pretty much need luck or big money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey_peapod View Post
    So those are the only 2 way to come across nice cards?! If you look in the right places and put the work in you can find almost anything for a good price especially 90s stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by goobmcnasty View Post
    Just like anything in life. Some people see you have a Maserati and assume THEY will never have a Maserati because they aren't lucky or rich. With that attitude, they are absolutely right. They will never have a Maserati. The "must be nice" generation spends more time and energy condemning people who have, than they do putting in the work to get it themselves.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see the photo. What card is it? Frank was "The man" when I was collecting 90s inserts heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by BunchOBull View Post
    While I may have many cards more scarce or more valuable, almost nothing in my collection tops the following card.

Frank's first "high-end", serial numbered insert card from the 2nd series of the first high-end insert set ever produced. Jersey numbered...I collect for this kind of reason.

BunchOBull
     BigHurtHOF
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I can't see the photo. What card is it? Frank was "The man" when I was collecting 90s inserts heavily.
    It's a 1992 Donruss Elite, serial number 00035/10000. This was my ultimate dream card as a kid, I mean, this very copy, with this very serial number. It wasn't pulled from a pack until 2011, but I was lucky enough to get it from the man who did it.

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinbreaker View Post
    Umm, just look in here ..

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/foru...f-fame-patches

Here's one for you just in case..

Ahhhhhhhhh
    puts my auto GU bat barrel to shame
    **looking for Sweet spot, game ball and sweet sigs autos off my needs list.**

Bay-buyer-09
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Do any members own this Trout Superfractor rookie?
    The owner's been holding out for half a million dollars forever.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2009-Bowman-Ch...-/401140342773

PLUS only $500 for shipping....

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnryno View Post
    One of my favorite movies. So glad you joined FCB!

johnryno2012
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarutiak View Post
    One of my favorite movies. So glad you joined FCB!
    Thank you very little.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    This has nothing to do with putting in work or effort. My response was a direct answer to the original thread's question of who has the best modern card. Any card that is good enough to win best modern card will either be obtained by luck or will have been paid for with a sizable sum of money. I suppose there is a small fraction of a chance that someone wheeled and sealed for a card of that magnitude (also luck in my opinion if that is the case), but then we'd all chant that the new owner is a d-bag who ripped off the previous owner. That is just the reality of the lottery pack mentality/market we now find ourselves collecting within. It's no longer who will pull the first Mickey Mantle of the neighborhood (and eventually we'll all have one or more if we keep buying packs), it is now who will be lucky enough to pull the Babe Ruth cut auto, button, cleat, jersey patch, hat, hair, tooth mega relic 1/1 that we can immediately turn around and sell for $10K.

I didn't say there weren't good cards that could be found with work and some wheeling and dealing, but to 'WIN" this thread, you pretty much need luck or big money.
    I don't know why your so upset by the fact you don't have the best card of the decade or whatever. He wanted to see good cards and that's it. So every time you see an under priced cards on eBay you message the seller and say hey sorry let me add another $100 in you didn't price it right?! I highly doubt that. It's 2017 everyone has literally every means of research at their fingertips. If I ask a guy for a price and he gives me one after he uses beckett, ebay, google, has friends, and has a business doing this presumably then I'm going to pay the man.
    So you collect and buy like yourself which is I'm guessing wait until someone lists the high end card you want at top dollar and just pay for it or like most on this site search Comc and EBay daily to find the best deals.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't rock the boat @cgilmo

Anyway, we all play second fiddle to @Topnotchsy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast