Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Thread: Unopened 1948 Bowman packs anyone?

Ryans Rust
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unopened 1948 Bowman packs anyone?

I buy unopened baseball.

juangris311
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, the box and wrappers were not what I imagined. Thanks for sharing.
    Always Looking For Adam Dunn Autograph Cards!

Ryans Rust
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a guy opening a 1952 pack..

I buy unopened baseball.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's weird how Bowman branded their first set as Play Ball, the same name of the Gum, Inc. brand sets of 1939-1941.

I wonder if it was just a coincidence or on purpose since WWII caused companies to stop the major brands from making sets after that Play Ball set, and then didn't resume until the Bowman and Leaf sets of '48.

There were regional sets like Bond Bread in '47, but the major manufacturers were basically shut down during the war and until '48.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could only imagine the adrenaline pumping through that guy's veins as he was opening that '52. You could just see how much he was shaking. Talk about exhilarating!
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Tek Diffractors (need 44 patterns)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Blue (86)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Gold (5,8,23,50,59,62,65,77)
    1999 Tek Gold /10 (7A pattern: 24), (7B patterns: 4, 28)
    2014 Tek (Black/White Auto Proof /1) and (any remaining unique buybacks)
    1999 Ultimate Victory Parallels (151, 152)
    View Collection: 5600+ unique cards
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onionring9 View Post
    I could only imagine the adrenaline pumping through that guy's veins as he was opening that '52. You could just see how much he was shaking. Talk about exhilarating!
    Noticed that also. And I can imagine when he saw what he had there and realized he took a hit of many thousands of dollars... ouch.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does the value of the 48 bowman take a hit because the box isn't in good shape?

seems weird the packs were "authenticated" by someone who hasn't seen those before. How can you be assured of legitimacy if there is no reference exemplar unless you are saying these packs and boxes have the typical box and pack characteristics of sports cards of that era.

btw, are the packs covered in plain paper wrappers or wax-like paper?

Ryans Rust
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another pic.

I buy unopened baseball.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmath View Post
    does the value of the 48 bowman take a hit because the box isn't in good shape?

seems weird the packs were "authenticated" by someone who hasn't seen those before. How can you be assured of legitimacy if there is no reference exemplar unless you are saying these packs and boxes have the typical box and pack characteristics of sports cards of that era.

btw, are the packs covered in plain paper wrappers or wax-like paper?
    They were authenticated by the best pack authenticator in the hobby, who authenticates unopened for a living. His word is gold in the unopened side of the hobby, and rightfully so.

I just find it amazing that something that old and unopened still exists 70 years later.

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I showed this article to my wife the other day and she was amazed that something like this has survived.

I would think that the deep pockets collectors will be out for this auction.. also maybe a museum or the Hall of fame..

If you came across something like this, what would you do?

Ryans Rust
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve Hart is the Chuck Norris of the card hobby. IMO With so many hobby icons leaving us, Steve is in the next wave of "good guys".
    I buy unopened baseball.

indymann57
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch on the 1952 Topps pack.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinbreaker View Post
    If you came across something like this, what would you do?
    Considering it's a partial box and not a complete full box, I'd keep a few packs and auction off the box with the remaining packs.

I'd still be undecided what to do with the packs I keep, but the likely scenario would keep the packs in my collection and then donate them to the Hall of Fame or auction them off at a later date.

and, yes, it's amazing unopened material still exists like this somewhere. It's not like the 1940's and 1950's kids thought of trading cards as collectibles and stashed away unopened boxes and packs like we collectors did in the 1980's. I know I won't have a find like this at my childhood home - I was the only collector in the family, I didn't start collecting until 1981 and the childhood home was built for my dad/mom (thus single owner) and was built in the late 60's. The only thing you might find in my childhood home is some 1985-1987 topps unopened boxes that are probably buried in my closet and that won't be valuable material.

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmath View Post
    Considering it's a partial box and not a complete full box, I'd keep a few packs and auction off the box with the remaining packs.

I'd still be undecided what to do with the packs I keep, but the likely scenario would keep the packs in my collection and then donate them to the Hall of Fame or auction them off at a later date.

and, yes, it's amazing unopened material still exists like this somewhere. It's not like the 1940's and 1950's kids thought of trading cards as collectibles and stashed away unopened boxes and packs like we collectors did in the 1980's. I know I won't have a find like this at my childhood home - I was the only collector in the family, I didn't start collecting until 1981 and the childhood home was built for my dad/mom (thus single owner) and was built in the late 60's. The only thing you might find in my childhood home is some 1985-1987 topps unopened boxes that are probably buried in my closet and that won't be valuable material.
    I had some cards in boxes at home when I moved out.. my mom was cleaning one day and thought that since I moved out that they were garbage.. I grabbed a beckett and showed her what those early 60's cards were selling for. She felt so bad.. but not as bad as when she gave my dad's 57 chevy he was restoring away for nothing!!! He was out hunting and a guy stopped by and she thought it was junk, so gave it to him.. So I don't feel too bad.