Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Future of Chrome Cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
It's been noted, but not really documented, that some chrome cards from the past 24 years have not held up, with the colors fading, sometimes severely. I recently came across some 1996 Topps Mickey Mantle chromes that had devolved somewhat shockingly. The skin tone's gone totally jaundiced. These are base chrome cards, not refractors, and were stored in their own penny sleeves and top-loaders, and have been exposed to light for maybe a couple hours in the past 20 years. But others from the same era are fine. Even 1993 Finest refractors seem to be vulnerable. I've got a McGwire that's fading a bit in the parts of his skin tone. I guess the red is breaking down. So I'm a little leery now of buying chromes and refractors. I've been slowly picking up 93 refs in hopes of someday building the set but I think I'll have to divest those. At least my Frank Thomas is still good.

So I'm concerned for the future of these cards. I really wanted to buy a Pujols Bowman Chrome rookie this year, and while I've not seen any with this sort of problem, if it happens it's a tremendous turnoff. Same with Trout and really any major RC of the past 20 years.

I'd like to add to this thread photos of cards with these problems, and try to identify sets that have chronic fading problems versus those that don't. I'll add some pics as I accumulate them but if anyone else has examples it would be very helpful. I'd like to see cards that have faded that you know weren't bleached in the sun or have other known causes, just ones that have broken down on their own.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Do they use the same technology to print chrome in 2017 that they used in 96? Maybe they saw this coming and changed a while back? U would think they'd identify issues and fix it but then again if we're talking Topps, who knows

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
U would think they'd identify issues and fix it but then again if we're talking Topps, who knows

I tend to think card companies manufacture for the now instead of later. Who knows if the Tribute auto bubbling was truly a manufacturing error or if Topps decided to try a new coating that issue and things didn't work out. Did UD know that some Sweet Spot autos would fade over time? Did Topps know chrome cards could fade over time and have been working on new inks or dismissed potential new inks because they were too expensive and Topps wanted to maintain or cut costs? Who knows how our acetate cards will hold up or when the stickers on our cards will have the adhesive dry up or break down and fall off?

It'd be fun if someone at the Topps meeting during the natty would ask them if they ever think about and research how archival the cards they create are.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Imagine the uproar if it was determined slabs negatively affected cards. Many of these chemical interactions are long term processes that can't be anticipated and only reveal themselves over time. Not all that glitters is long-term gold.

Members online