Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

WTF Topps? 2017 Archives.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Ugh don't get me started on Marlins man either.

he ended up in Pittsburgh for Mets/Pirates on Sunday Night Baseball, which made me think of this thread. ;)

Anyone know what he does that affords him the ability to pay up the arse for behind home plate tickets and probably also fly private jets to the games?

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
he ended up in Pittsburgh for Mets/Pirates on Sunday Night Baseball, which made me think of this thread. ;)

Anyone know what he does that affords him the ability to pay up the arse for behind home plate tickets and probably also fly private jets to the games?
Yup, I saw him there. And the only reason he was there is because it's nationally televised

Sent from my SM-G930V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I believe I read that he is a very successful attorney who owns his own firm. I also read that he is a very generous man as well. Not sure why everyone hates the guy for being able to follow his passion. However, unless he was a Dodger icon, I would feel cheated to pull an autograph of the guy myself.

We can't complain too loudly though as card companies have already long been watering down their offerings to the extreme with cards featuring plants, rocks, bones, invisible men, every day people with some link to the subject, etc. I think these cards definitely have a place in non-sport offerings, but not in a sports offering.

I thought about this so more as I looked up and confirmed that Leavy is a Miami attorney who does own his own firm. I remember a handful of characters from when I attended baseball games as a kid in the Kingdome. There may have been more, but 2 stick out in my mind, as I saw both at just about every game I attended...Rick the peanut guy and Bill the beer man. These were vendors who sold food/drink, but they made the games fun. They have absolutely no meaning to anyone who never went to a game and saw them in action (i.e if you weren't a local fan, you probably never knew who they were), but I would love to have some sort of commemorative card for either. Both have since passed away, but I still remember both very well and I'm sure if they were googled, something would come up about them. Every team probably has a few, from fans to vendors to team employees. They are sometimes that extra piece to the experience that sticks in your brain.

I didn't grow up in LA and have only attended 1 Dodger game live in my life, but I am a fan of the franchise and collect autographs. I have extended this to ANYONE who is significant to the franchise: from owners, executives, coaches, mascots, announcers and even have a few already or seek some real oddballs like team doctor (Frank Jobe - famous for T. John surgery), team pilot, traveling secretary, bat boy, etc.

Last edited:

johnryno

Mar 23, 2017
Country Club of Maryland
I believe I read that he is a very successful attorney who owns his own firm. I also read that he is a very generous man as well. Not sure why everyone hates the guy for being able to follow his passion. However, unless he was a Dodger icon, I would feel cheated to pull an autograph of the guy myself.

We can't complain too loudly though as card companies have already long been watering down their offerings to the extreme with cards featuring plants, rocks, bones, invisible men, every day people with some link to the subject, etc. I think these cards definitely have a place in non-sport offerings, but not in a sports offering.

I thought about this so more as I looked up and confirmed that Leavy is a Miami attorney who does own his own firm. I remember a handful of characters from when I attended baseball games as a kid in the Kingdome. There may have been more, but 2 stick out in my mind, as I saw both at just about every game I attended...Rick the peanut guy and Bill the beer man. These were vendors who sold food/drink, but they made the games fun. They have absolutely no meaning to anyone who never went to a game and saw them in action (i.e if you weren't a local fan, you probably never knew who they were), but I would love to have some sort of commemorative card for either. Both have since passed away, but I still remember both very well and I'm sure if they were googled, something would come up about them. Every team probably has a few, from fans to vendors to team employees. They are sometimes that extra piece to the experience that sticks in your brain.

I didn't grow up in LA and have only attended 1 Dodger game live in my life, but I am a fan of the franchise and collect autographs. I have extended this to ANYONE who is significant to the franchise: from owners, executives, coaches, mascots, announcers and even have a few already or seek some real oddballs like team doctor (Frank Jobe - famous for T. John surgery), team pilot, traveling secretary, bat boy, etc.

I like him. Playing Spot the Marlin's Bro has become a fun, Where's Waldo-esque style game with a few of my friends. The sideways visor, however, is something only fit to be worn by a 2nd string JV lax goalie at a house party with no beers.

As for his autos in Ginter, I would rather pull an IP auto on a post-it note... from myself.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
On a different note, if anyone is opening this product and comes up with a Tim Wakefield fan favorite auto lemme know, im looking for them.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
If the Hample is extra and doesnt count as your hit. i couldnt really careless about it. Otherwise id pitch a fit if i pulled it.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I am seeking any Dodgers from the set. Looks like Moon, Mota, Cey and possibly Lasorda for me. I don't even count the high $ cards I won't pay for like Koufax, Kershaw, etc. I'd also like a Manfred and a Bean (for the Dodger connection)

Members online