Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I Like Bryce Harper Even More Now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side

johnryno

Mar 23, 2017
Country Club of Maryland
People are free to post however they see fit as long as its not harassment or scamming.

There's nothing wrong with his posting at all.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

HOF Moderation. I'm gonna have to throw you guys some business when you have individual boxes for sale. Blowout offers pretty solid prices, but I'm not a huge fan of their promotional "free pack of identity theft" with every purchase.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
From personal experience actually playing baseball at fairly competitive levels, I agree with moxy, in that what I learned from my failures on the mound helped make me a better teammate, sport, and human being in general. But, I also have a brother with Downs, and spent a number of years volunteering with the Oriole Advocates http://www.orioleadvocates.org , a non-profit which facilitates little-leagues for children with disabilities.

The person pre-occupied with participation trophies and denying their distribution to the disabled, posses, in my opinion, little knowledge of any discernible value.

Ok, i'm not on my phone this time so let me try to explain a little better for the sake that i think i'm generally a nice person who has compassion for others.

I'm not insensitive to people with special needs. I have family and friends with different disabilities, physical and/or mental. And i might dig myself further into a hole with you and others opinion of me but i think if the only reason you're giving a trophy to the kid is because they're disabled. That's messed up. And yes it seems petty, especially if its going to make that kid happy. Who are any of us to say that kid shouldn't be happy or get a special memory? I overstepped my comment on disabilities in my previous post. I was not referring to leagues like you mentioned which are designed specifically for kids with disabilities. I'm talking about the kids who are put into leagues and on teams with kids with no disabilities. I dont know if it happens but i do feel that even in these leagues the lessons of losing should be taught.

I have personally seen a kid with a disability given a trophy when the rest of their team didn't get one. I have played baseball with kids who have disabilities and most kept up with everyone else. I remember one of the kids on my team who played second base in little league who had no elbows. He was one of the better players on the team. And he made sure noone would treat him any differently. If i recall he played a year in high school too on the JV team. I really have no issue with the leagues like you mentioned above. If it were up to me they would all get what they want and be happy all the time. But like you mentioned as well, i think losing plays a huge role in the development of these kids. I know it did for me. And obviously different disabilities require different needs as some may never be able to learn the concept. But for those who can and will be living on their own one day, i feel its beneficial.

Sorry, i think i rambled a little. im at work and working as type this so hopefully i didnt mis represent my opinion.

On a completely separate topic. I am a veteran and i hate all the special treatment the military gets. But that is a discussion for another day. ;)

johnryno

Mar 23, 2017
Country Club of Maryland
Ok, i'm not on my phone this time so let me try to explain a little better for the sake that i think i'm generally a nice person who has compassion for others.

I'm not insensitive to people with special needs. I have family and friends with different disabilities, physical and/or mental. And i might dig myself further into a hole with you and others opinion of me but i think if the only reason you're giving a trophy to the kid is because they're disabled. That's messed up. And yes it seems petty, especially if its going to make that kid happy. Who are any of us to say that kid shouldn't be happy or get a special memory? I overstepped my comment on disabilities in my previous post. I was not referring to leagues like you mentioned which are designed specifically for kids with disabilities. I'm talking about the kids who are put into leagues and on teams with kids with no disabilities. I dont know if it happens but i do feel that even in these leagues the lessons of losing should be taught.

I have personally seen a kid with a disability given a trophy when the rest of their team didn't get one. I have played baseball with kids who have disabilities and most kept up with everyone else. I remember one of the kids on my team who played second base in little league who had no elbows. He was one of the better players on the team. And he made sure noone would treat him any differently. If i recall he played a year in high school too on the JV team. I really have no issue with the leagues like you mentioned above. If it were up to me they would all get what they want and be happy all the time. But like you mentioned as well, i think losing plays a huge role in the development of these kids. I know it did for me. And obviously different disabilities require different needs as some may never be able to learn the concept. But for those who can and will be living on their own one day, i feel its beneficial.

Sorry, i think i rambled a little. im at work and working as type this so hopefully i didnt mis represent my opinion.

On a completely separate topic. I am a veteran and i hate all the special treatment the military gets. But that is a discussion for another day. ;)

Haha, you don't have to worry about offending me. My broader point is that the cupcake generation, participation ribbon, trophy (whatever interchangeable buzzwords are currently en vogue) movement of baseless/unscientific complaining about today's youth, has no merit impact on society. Children of the same age are used as currency in the sex trafficking industry. Many live below the poverty line. That irrevocably alters the development of a child, thus impacting society. Not receiving a piece of plastic.

Harper is an elite player, highly entertaining to watch, and has valuable baseball knowledge/experience. His social commentary, unfortunately, is about as valuable as Marlboro Miles.

johnryno

Mar 23, 2017
Country Club of Maryland

Haha, you don't have to worry about offending me. My broader point is that the cupcake generation, participation ribbon, trophy (whatever interchangeable buzzwords are currently en vogue) movement of baseless/unscientific complaining about today's youth, has no merit or impact on society. Children of the same age are used as currency in the sex trafficking industry. Many live below the poverty line. That irrevocably alters the development of a child, thus impacting society. Not receiving a piece of plastic.

Harper is an elite player, highly entertaining to watch, and has valuable baseball knowledge/experience. His social commentary, unfortunately, is about as valuable as Marlboro Miles.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
They're both lucky neither one of them broke or severely bruised a finger or hand bone punching each other's face.

completely agree. also Bryce's suspension got lowered to 3. I agree they both need suspended but six games for a relief pitcher is a joke. he will end up missing a couple of innings while harper misses 3 full games.

Latest posts