Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I Like Bryce Harper Even More Now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
good for him. Things have got so out of hand. Like schools having kids play dodge ball without a ball. or jump rope without a rope. We all are winners doesn't work in the real world.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
It's not quite so black and white for me. It depends on the focus of the what they're playing in.

My son's hockey organization (7-8 year-olds) gave participation trophies to all house league players. House league focuses on skill development, team play, etc. For tournaments though, the focus is more competitive. Only the two final teams got medals - gold "Tournament Champions" and silver "Finalist" medals.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Jjoey52

Feb 12, 2017
Participation trophies might be fine for non competitive things as described above and for Special Olympics, but for competitive sports they are at best garbage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnryno

Mar 23, 2017
Country Club of Maryland
latest

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I've never understood the hate on trophies. Don't see the harm as some do. Every trophy shouldn't / doesn't say Champion or 1st Place and a participation trophy is usually small in comparison of those who "won". It's a way to document their lives and if they stuck with the sport, got outside of the house and competed, they have the right to feel proud win or loose. I think it makes a kid feel good, which is never a bad thing.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Last edited:

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I've never understood the hate on trophies. Don't see the harm as some do. Every trophy shouldn't it doesn't say Champion or 1st Place and a participation trophy is usually small in comparison of those who "won". It's a way to document their lives and if they stuck with the sport, got outside of the house and competed, they have the right to feel proud win or loose. I think it makes a kid feel good, which is never a bad thing.

Ryan
I think more along these lines, especially with younger kids learning a sport. U can learn something from just sticking to it and seeing something through

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I think more along these lines, especially with younger kids learning a sport. U can learn something from just sticking to it and seeing something through
Any year I played in any if the 4 sports I played, if we didn't finish in the Championship or I wasn't an All Star that year I wasn't playing to get a trophy. I played to compete and I used the motivation that I didn't get the big trophy that was much cooler to keep improving. Any small/participation trophy I ended up with wasn't anything more than a checkmark on the year completed and I can't see many kids using that as anything more than that. It's not a handout, the kids got out of the house, off electronics and competed and I can't see the harm in a trophy to document that hurting anyone. No kid is is translating a trophy into a handout in life. I don't see to correlation at all. These are kids we are taking about who need to a build up, not down. And again, if your good or a champ you get more, but that shouldn't mean those who aren't are garbage.

Ryan

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
If everyone gets a trophy, there's no incentive to try harder.
Not true, winning the Championship is motivation. If you guys tell me kids / people play for a participation trophy, I'd beg to differ. The percentage of people who do that is miniscual. Never in my life have I ever heard of someone stating they were playing just to get a lil trophy.

Ryan

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've never understood the hate on trophies. Don't see the harm as some do. Every trophy shouldn't it doesn't say Champion or 1st Place and a participation trophy is usually small in comparison of those who "won". It's a way to document their lives and if they stuck with the sport, got outside of the house and competed, they have the right to feel proud win or loose. I think it makes a kid feel good, which is never a bad thing.
I agree with this.

And people don't complain when everyone who finishes a city marathon or other race gets a medal.
It doesn't diminish the accomplishments of the winner. But it rewards the runners for training, working hard and finishing the race.

Giving trophies to little kids shows them they worked hard and competed, and gives them something cool to put on their dresser or shelf to remember the season.
It doesn't make the championship trophies any less important.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I agree with this.

And people don't complain when everyone who finishes a city marathon or other race gets a medal.
It doesn't diminish the accomplishments of the winner. But it rewards the runners for training, working hard and finishing the race.

Giving trophies to little kids shows them they worked hard and competed, and gives them something cool to put on their dresser or shelf to remember the season.
It doesn't make the championship trophies any less important.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
And by the way, professional team sports (mainly baseball and basketball because of the guaranteed contracts) are a bigger problem with not competeting because your getting paid, that an issue of a child getting a tiny trophy. These pros that don't win, then they shouldn't get paid their large contract $, because what's the motivation? World Series Champ get paid, don't win league minimum, right Bryce? Yes I'm halfway joking, but the comparison isn't to far off regarding motivation.

Ryan

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Not true, winning the Championship is motivation. If you guys tell me kids / people play for a participation trophy, I'd beg to differ. The percentage of people who do that is miniscual. Never in my life have I ever heard of someone stating they were playing just to get a lil trophy.

Ryan

This post is about kids. Kids don't understand the difference between the participation trophy one mommy demanded all the kids get and the playoff trophy one team got because they were the best.

Last year, one baseball mom decided all the kids needed participation trophies. It was asinine. They didn't win ****.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
This post is about kids. Kids don't understand the difference between the participation trophy one mommy demanded all the kids get and the playoff trophy one team got because they were the best.

Last year, one baseball mom decided all the kids needed participation trophies. It was asinine. They didn't win ****.
I'm not sure what kids don't understand the difference. If we are taking 5-8 year olds, sure, but who the heck is hurt by them getting a trophy? They sure aren't and if you as a parent (not directly at you, but parents in general) , then I suggest reviewing what a important to get worked up about. The kids who just played to participate will thin out and the competition gets tougher and the kids do realize the difference. I mean I don't remember a time since I started sports at 4 or 5 I wouldn't have known the difference, but I assume most do by 3rd grade. And again, as you stated the post is about kids, they aren't being hurt, it seems only parents are, and it shouldn't be about the parents feelings anyway.

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts