Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Our hobby has a lot of firsts except this one

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
There's no hall of Famers who have an autographed rookie card of any kind.

There's not even a minor league or an insert auto from their rc year, like 95 sp guerrero.

DTA

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
It'll be tough for a while. Autos in Minor League stuff really started to take off around 93/94 so most of the elected players started before that. Arod, Jeter etc may have best chances to be 1st. In MLB 96 Leaf Sig was the 1st full type set, and I can't really recall a RC HOF type from there. 97 has Ortiz who has a chance. I'm sure I'm missing some.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I'm thinking David Ortiz will be the first. Miggy 2000 Topps Traded 2nd?

No other recent retirees (that have a shot at the HOF) have RC year autos.

Halladay is fringe... he was in 1997 Bowman, but RC/Year autos weren't huge in baseball until the early 00s.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014

There's not even a minor league or an insert auto from their rc year, like 95 sp guerrero.

DTA

Unless you count buybacks? I loved the idea of buybacks at first - 94 SP A-Rod autos, 89 UD Griffey Autos, 86 Donruss Canseco Autos...

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I said at first! LOL
I was getting on you for saying "Unless you count buybacks", knowing damn well he wasn't! Classic buybacks are still great, just wish they weren't re-run as many times in some cases.

Ryan

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I was getting on you for saying "Unless you count buybacks", knowing damn well he wasn't! Classic buybacks are still great, just wish they weren't re-run as many times in some cases.

Ryan

Ah, well. Buybacks are a great way to get a certified auto on a player's rookie card... from the before time. :)

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
If 1997 was the first year with auto'd RC, that just isn't enough time to have a HOF career, then wait 5 years. Even if you go back and count 1995 SP TP, still a very short window in that sense. Vlad will likely be the first if you count that set. If not, it's got to be Ortiz. I think Halladay will be in the Morris/Mussina/John/Blyleven twilight zone for a while, and be a good debate even longer. Unless somehow Andruw Jones sneaks in and you count 1995 SP TP.

tenballer

Aug 9, 2014

DTA
Chipper Jones has a couple minor league autographs but I'm sure they would fall in the rookie season. His rookie cards can be found in 91 products but the 92 Bowman has been considered a rookie also. In 92 there is a classic best red bonus auto. 93 was his debut season but he was a late call up. Some of his 93 cards have been called "rookie cards" In 93 there is a braves stadium club auto. He was injured in 94 I believe plus that was the strike year. Pretty sure 95 would be his official rookie season, but he has no rookie cards in 95 products and and no autos either.

Off topic - When was the 130 at bat rookie standard put in place?

Sent from my XT1650 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
So you think Chipper will get into the Hall? ☺ But I'd say he would qualify as the possible first.

Ryan

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
As much as I would want it to be this one....

s-l500.jpg

I would bet on this one:
2-1992-derek-jeter-little-sun-auto-signed-bgs-9-psa_1_3cba5544e0e03cc1359c26fa2f240a6b.jpg

I think Jeter had Front row auto card in 92 as well.

The Manny card is pretty neat though and doesn't get much respect.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Yeah, that Manny is one that I didn't recall, but I agree I am not sure it'll happen. Nice card though.

Ryan

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Like others have said, most of the guys who are now in the hall had rookie cards from a time before rookie autos were made. Ortiz and Miggy might be the first although if I remember correctly, wasn't Ortiz out for roids? If so, are the voters over that now? Otherwise, you got Pujols and others starting in 2001 and up. Which means in the next 5-10 years, it will be the norm to have HOF'ers with auto'd rookies available.

Members online