Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

supercollector or supercollection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Ryan,

I don't think there is a definition of the term "supercollector" so it's subjective. Like I stated I don't personally like the term. To me the term somewhat tries to elevate that person or collection to an elite status (just my view). I'm old school (basically old) and it's a hobby, not life, so I do it for fun and if it becomes more important than God, family, friends, etc. it becomes sad, not super. Am I a super collector the answer is "no"; am I a collector then it would "yes".

Now I really enjoy seeing young people in the hobby so if you like the term then go ahead and use it; fine with me. I just don't think you'd find too many older folks who would use the term to refer to their collection or anyone else's collection for that matter.
Definitely not trying to force the term on anyone and I do not care how my collecting is defined. As I stated that was my definition of it, not anyone else's term. It's a term that has lil effect on me, I was just replying to the OP where he asked if "type" collecting was in a SuperCollector category and I said yes, I don't think it is player specific, that's all.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
The term supercollector typically describes someone who specializes in a certain niche of collecting. This generally identifies a collector of a player, team or card type. While player collectors are likely to get the name supercollector more often than the others, I have seen team and card type supercollectors as well.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
So many ways to collect. Super collector is too vague for me with no clear meaning. I see people calling themselves super collectors that I wouldn't ever consider in my opinion. Super collectors to me are the guys that are passionate, knowledgeable, and share their love of the hobby and their collections.

I identify these types of collectors:

Player - Collects a certain player
Type - Collects one card of each set (often vintage sets)
Team - Collects cards of one team
Set - Collects a complete set or sets
Niche/Topical - Focuses on a specific topic i.e. ***** League cards, cards of players from one country, HOF rookie cards, autographs only, error cards, etc.
Generalist - Collects what they like across genres
Prospectors - Focus only on young players

Then for each of those types, there can be:

Completests / Super Collectors - dedicated collectors that have are subject matter experts and have jaw-dropping collections. Tend to want 1 of everything.
Elitists - Collect only high value cards
Registry Fanatics - Slab lovers that compete for top registry collections with PSA/Beckett/SGA
Shadows - Collectors that don't frequent message boards, collect in private, and don't share information with most other collectors
Flippers - Interested in profit, not amassing a long-term collection

But in the end, they're just labels. And collectors are usually more complex that a stereotype.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I like the term super collector. I think it means a lot when someone sees your collection and thinks/calls/says you're a super collector. Make no mistake, the hobby is fun for me. Collecting Adam Dunn makes me happy. Whether it's a few base cards, relic, autograph, or 1/1, I get excited having more Dunn cards in my mailbox. My collection goes well beyond cards and I am very passionate about collecting Dunn. While I know it's not possible, I would love to own a copy of every Dunn card made.

I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but I think the majority of people like to show off who or what they collect. That's why they post maildays, build websites, have photobucket/flickr accounts, and so on. I think that is a great part of the hobby. I enjoy seeing other people's collections. So if you put it on display and people comment or talk about you being a super collector, I think it is a great compliment. I don't need that in my life, I'm very proud of my collection, but it's nice when others appreciate the time and effort that you put in to building that collection.

There was a time that when people thought of Dunn collectors, I was the person they thought of. There are a few people that sought me out to sell me their Dunn collections. That's probably not true now because I very rarely post anymore. I may make a couple of posts and then not be seen or heard from for months or maybe even years. Another part of it is that I have built a very nice collection on a pretty small budget and the generosity of some amazing members on this board (the Morning Thread gang, magicpapa, daveyou, and plenty of others). Thankfully that area has improved over the years.

I don't need anyone to tell me I am a super collector or that I have a super collection. It's nice when they do though. Again, it's not the validation I'm looking for. It's just nice when someone notices the dedication I have put in to building my collection and is compelled to call me a super collector.

Aug 16, 2016
Central Florida
I saw this posted on Twitter the other day and was wondering the same thing. The subject didn't gain much traction on there. Great to hear everyone's opinions. Awesome stuff guy's!!!!

crypticfreak1

May 16, 2016
I've seen many different views on this as well. I see a super collector as a term that is bestowed upon a person by other people that collect that player or item. I have over 450 unique Brian Johnson (Red Sox) cards out of a possible 725. No possibility that anyone has more unique items then me based on the percentage of 1/1's I have. I proclaim myself to have the worlds largest collection but no one has dubbed me a super collector. In the Jose Canseco world I'm not even considered a super collector by many even though my collection contains over 2,500 unique items!!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
my .02

-Define it how you want
-Don't tell other people how they should define it
-Be considerate of how others define it
-Have fun and make sure you promote everyone else to have fun as well even if you disagree

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That is a very PC answer...fits well in 2017.

my .02

-Define it how you want
-Have fun and make sure you promote everyone else to have fun as well even if you disagree

Since it really has become an arbitrary term used in this hobby and to my knowledge has not been copywrited or universally defined, I suppose everyone can create their own definition and terms for it. Like so many other things, we all have our own thoughts and opinions on how things should be and this is no different based on the answers I have seen, but I don't think anyone is being nasty about it. Just see EVERY Hall of Fame discussion EVER.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Collector

my .02

-Define it how you want

My .02 regarding your .02:

-Define it how you want

There is no definition for the term so therefore it's arbitrary, subjective with really no meaning. Since in my opinion I think the term itself is self serving I don't like nor use the term for others or my collection.

Again there is no definition just individual opinions on what it should be.

How do you define considerate? Is this the PC version, agree to disagree and/or take a stand on your point of view (or possible some other definition)

Yes; sounds pretty good.

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
Nice thread that really made me think about my own collecting habits. Here is how I would define someone as being a super collector vs. a super collection:

1. They have to specialize in some kind of specific facet of collecting - type, player, set, or the ever expansive topical (i.e. errors, pre-production, packs, Venezulan, or Canadian Flags etc.)
2. They would have invested much time, energy, and possibly money into a focused collection that would likely take quite a while or be very difficult to put together.
3. They would have developed an expansive level of knowledge and a deep connoisseur-like appreciation of their area of focus.

A super collection is, IMO, just that - a super collection. I think of it being less focused and, again IMO, it would be a collection that is amazing. Someone wouldn't necessarily have to be a super collector to have a 'super' collection...just lots of cash. A collection that is loaded with high end autos, GU, or high grade vintage, RC's, and altogether rare or crazy expensive stuff. Anyone with cash can put together a super collection (not that there is anything wrong with that) but IMO it takes greater focus, devotion, and knowledge about what it is your collecting to be considered a super collector.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I've personally never liked the term "super collector"; we're just people who collect various items that hopefully we can afford. Just because someone has more time to search or more money to buy does that make them "super" for some reason?

To a degree. To truly amass anything of substance that would inspire awe or appreciation does require excess time and/or money. Maybe not like dropping a million bucks all at once(or ever). And in my mind, with as hard as some things are to find, time and money are equal here. Even the greatest collections can be built over time but require it nonetheless. These days, I'd hope they were(taking time, being frugal with money) or people are definitely going broke with prices now. But just because you take some $ and go buy some nice cards means nothing to most of us. There was no struggle. No work put in. But you take a guy who collects one player, even a scrub, and is able to amass most of his cards, that takes some work. And it's what most people who really know the hobby would look at and appreciate.

As far as terming one's self a supercollector, it's kind of frowned upon. But a great white shark knows it's a great white shark. A bear knows it's a bear. And so on. It would be stupid to tout yourself as anything special or better because there is always someone or something bigger/better out there. But you also understand your place in the equation. I've met a lot of people who are purely casual collectors. That's what they want to be. And you have some guys who sit down and decide they are going for it all. They are serious about carving out their niche whatever it may be. And most other serious collectors will appreciate and recognize this.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
To answer the original question, I would think a supercollector could collect anything and be considered a supercollector. Sets, a single player, a single type of card, and single set(Think of a set like prizm where you are doing a master set with all parallels, etc.).

Your work ethic and effort is what would make a collection "super" IMO.

Honestly I think the term really is something newer, serious collectors, aspire to be. And guys who obtain the status, well, I don't think it means anything to them. Loses it's luster.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Collector

hahaha good point

noting that I wasn't calling myself or anyone such a word. simply trying to define what has become a hobby staple.

I truly believe you'd be hard pressed to find any seasoned (older individuals) that have been collecting for some time to believe or even think this term is or has become a hobby staple.

(Just a side note I think most, if not all, of the individuals posting here have some tremendous collections so I can and do admire the accomplishments). I just don't prefer the newly developed terminology for collectors.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've been collecting for 35 years and think the relatively recent self-proclaimed label of Supercollector or Supercollection is silly.

It makes sense for a monthly magazine article that highlights a collector, or for a website or fellow collector to call you that, but otherwise, it kind of makes me cringe when someone calls himself that.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
My .02 regarding your .02:

-Define it how you want

> There is no definition for the term so therefore it's arbitrary, subjective with really no meaning. Since in my opinion I think the term itself is self serving I don't like nor use the term for others or my collection.

Yup!

>Again there is no definition just individual opinions on what it should be.

Yup!

>How do you define considerate? Is this the PC version, agree to disagree and/or take a stand on your point of view (or possible some other definition)

Adapt to whomever you are talking to because it really doesn't matter. Don't be a dick, have an open mind, and know that in the end, it's just one of these scenarios:
Empathy-and-Perspectives-9-6-Cartoon.png

>Yes; sounds pretty good.

Yup!

Members online