Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBay help - issuing refund?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azbaseballfan

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
Hey guys,

I sold a card on eBay last week and today I received a message from the buyers saying "it has a pin like indentation on the back along the red border ... Factory issue but a real problem ... I will have to return it". I didn't notice any defects on the card so this comes as a surprise. How should I proceed? I don't mind refunding the person, however, I've never had to refund a customer because I inspect every card I sell and note any defects in my listings. Because of this I chose the "Seller does not offer returns" option on my listing.

I'm fine refunding the guy I just want to make sure I don't get scammed since this is my first time. How do I proceed? Any suggestions from someone with experience would be greatly appreciated!

RagingAcid

Feb 26, 2017
Markham, ON
If you have the card on you I think you're not being scammed.

And since you made the no returns thing I'm pretty sure that means you keep the card and he pays the money.

azbaseballfan

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
If you have the card on you I think you're not being scammed.

And since you made the no returns thing I'm pretty sure that means you keep the card and he pays the money.

He has the card in hand, I have the money. So I guess my question is does he send the card first and once I get it I issue the refund? etc.

I don't see any type of "Issue refund" option on eBay, i'm guessing because I chose the option that I don't offer returns...?

Last edited:

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Pretty sure the buyer is also responsible for return postage.

Not if he sent a damaged card. The "no returns" only applies if the buyer changes his mind, buys the wrong size, etc. If a damaged item is sent, the seller is still responsible for return postage.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
There is an option on EBAY for him to return the item and they don't allow you to pay him back until you get the card in hand..

Have the buyer submit the "Return" and then you will get a note from EBAY to accept the return..

It's pretty easy.. Even though I have the Buyer pays return fees, sometimes I still get dinged.. but it's only a few $$.

I have done this and have received repeat business from the same buyer due to my customer service.. :)

djmilhaus

Sep 8, 2014
Seattle
Yes, going through eBay's returns protects you more just in case. Have him initiate the return process on his end, accept the return, pay for a label on your end through eBay and it will send it to him. That label will include tracking and be linked to the sale. Once received, inspect the card for the damage he noted, compare it to your scans/photographs. If damage is legit, refund him. If the damage is in an area clearly not evident in your scans, call eBay and chat with them about it being a swapped return. Worst case, you refund him and they note his account.

Always be professional in your communications. If there is a problem with this in any way, shape, or form, eBay does look at your messaging history.

Had a similar issue on a trading card, couldn't believe I missed damage. Got the card back, saw what the buyer was talking about, and it was legit. It was a tiny crease only visible on the reverse side in a tough to see spot. It even showed up faintly in the scan to verify it. So this stuff happens honestly and is probably not a scam. Just protect yourself as best you can in case it is.

Members online