Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cut Autos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Personally, my main collecting focus is on card company certified autographs. I do have some autographed baseballs, along with some grading company authenticated autograph pieces. Those pieces are usually purchased when having a card certified auto of that player is too cost prohibitive. Throughout the years I have purchased numerous card company certified cut autos and have been pleased. Do any of you fellow collectors stray away from cut autos and what are some of the issues you look out for, stay away from?

These two cuts gave me pause. Anyone see the possible issues with these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Topps-...755686?hash=item1a2c24c026:g:pJcAAOSwmLlX~Yux

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honus-Wagne...882817?hash=item4d58e4f941:g:dyYAAOSwt0FZCOGT

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Well, the first one, it's addressed to his wife, or mother, or whomever, which would make me believe either a fan sent it, or if Wagner sent it himself, it's not technically an autograph, since it's not his name....if that makes sense...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Well, the first one, it's addressed to his wife, or mother, or whomever, which would make me believe either a fan sent it, or if Wagner sent it himself, it's not technically an autograph, since it's not his name....if that makes sense...

It absolutely makes sense, as it is addressed to Wagner's wife and signed by someone else. While it is a cut auto, of someone, it is presented on a H. Wagner card.

Last edited:

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I absolutely makes sense, as it is addressed to Wagner's wife and signed by someone else. While it is a cut auto, of someone, it is presented on a H. Wagner card.

Unless it was a letter he wrote to his wife...so at least it's written in his hand, since it's not his auto?

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Unless it was a letter he wrote to his wife...so at least it's written in his hand, since it's not his auto?

It is indeed just that, as that was their residence and it does look to be in his handwriting. Interesting piece but not an autograph.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
It is indeed just that, as that was their residence and it does look to be in his handwriting. Interesting piece but not an autograph.

In that case, buy it, send it to [MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION], have him cut out the Mrs. And the address and put it in a new card, bam 1/1 cut auto?!

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
cut to me has to fill the entire section it's placed, and have no cutoffs in the sig (this isn't always available but to a certain degree must be followed)

nice looking Wagner but oddly not right

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That first one may have been by his wife's hand as well. It was not uncommon for women to go by "Mrs INSERT HUSBANDS NAME HERE" in those days. It might have been a return address area of a large mailer? If it was him sending his wife a letter or note, then it would certainly be his signature after the Mrs portion.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
That first one may have been by his wife's hand as well. It was not uncommon for women to go by "Mrs INSERT HUSBANDS NAME HERE" in those days. It might have been a return address area of a large mailer? If it was him sending his wife a letter or note, then it would certainly be his signature after the Mrs portion.

You can see right above the address it says "this space for address only" so I'd still have to assume it's his writing

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
The second one, looks to me as if it is a cut of a cut autograph. Does that make sense?

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I don't mind cut autos for player like a Wagner where I couldn't have a better version. I have a cut Joe Wood in my collection for example. If I were seeking​ a Wagner and was prepared to drop that kind of dough I think I'd wait for a better example

Members online