Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Job Search/What do you do for a living?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
Bean originator. My job is to go talk to the farmers in the area about their bean and yellow pea crops. Look at their fields after they have been planted to see if what needs to be done such as spraying weeds or putting copper down, etc.

Out our way we would call you an agronomist

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
This is a great thread, one of the few I've read end to end. It's really interesting to hear what everyone does in their real lives. There's pretty much every job under the sun here. Who knew that us card collectors actually make the world go round?

So Oprah, here's my story. I was an engineer and it took me around the world, but 4 years ago I found myself same situation as the OP. I had reached the end of my rope, so I quit and tried to get into something different. But surprise surprise, it's not easy to change careers when you're 40. When you say "I am looking for THIS job", but your resume says "I've always done THAT job", it's hard to break in. HR "recruiters" and resume scanners don't really like that...

So I went back to engineering to pay the bills, but quickly got sick of it again. So in 2016 I quit again, but this time I had more success in the job hunt, and convinced Doctors Without Borders to hire me for technical and logistical work. I don't know what my first mission will be yet, so just waiting to hear on that.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Having to work for a living sucks. For you younger, single guys out there, look for an intelligent woman who can bring home the bacon (just be willing to cook it when she does).

I am now an online ESL teacher trainer. I spent four years teaching English in Europe, came back and got a masters in the field and then taught at a university for a few years. When the university privatized the ESL school, things went downhill fast, so I quit and became a stay-at-home dad. Best decision ever. I then got on with this teacher training gig, which is great because it's part time and totally flexible. I work maybe 15 hours a week, usually after my kids are alseep, and I manage to pay our mortgage.

No more HOF autos for me though. That's a trade-off I'm fine with.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Pretty cool [MENTION=12279]banjar[/MENTION] - what kind of engineering did/do you do? Supply chain?

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
Out our way we would call you an agronomist

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

We have agronomists within the company as well. We are a Cooperative and within the co-op we have 7 divisions. The one I work for is New Alliance, which is the dry edible bean division, then there is agronomy, petroleum, and others. The agronomists are much more knowledgeable than we are when it comes to herbicides and pesticides. But with the beans being a food product though there are things you can and can't spray on them, which is where we will come in.

KBMT

Jun 23, 2017
I make monsters... . But don't make a living.
eokEvjN.jpg

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
Hi everyone!
Haven't been on here in a while. I did the same as the op just over a year ago. Concentrated on making my own leather items, sadly people prefer the cheap china "leather" items. Especially since they can buy something for about $1.00-$2.00 shipped. I saw my listings go from first page to who knows where now(I stopped looking after 6-7 pages). Still have a lot of old return customers though. And getting calls from people that want the dog collars back.

Been doing the new t-shirts and thrift thing on the side and it's paying off. Built up a pretty good return customer base in less than a year. And i'm surprised what people are willing to pay for really faded, ripped or non vintage shirts. Think I found my best item last week, need to scan and possibly grade a 97-98 Triumvirate Illuminator or Luminous Jordan. It was in a box that was taped up so no one can open it, but you can see the Jordan through the clear top.

Pretty much where I was at with my old job money wise and sales are on the up. Plus I have more time to go fishing.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
I run my own online retail business. Been doing it for 8 years now. I could never work for someone else ever again.

In the past I mowed lawns for 7 years and then worked in a grocery warehouse for 2 years doing the hardest manual labor you can imagine.

Scott F

Members online