Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

There's nothing worse than collectors of what you collect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RagingAcid

Feb 26, 2017
Markham, ON
get off my lawn :mad:

Who do you collect? How do you deal with other people also collecting what you collect? I think hitmen are out of the question.

I collect Jays, mostly halladay, and I deal with other people collecting what I collect by complaining to online forums...

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Accept it, move on, respect the other collectors. Plenty of stuff out there and some people just may be able to out gun ya, it happens.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Actually I'd love to find a couple others who have the same PC going. I have been looking but so far no other active Alomar collectors.

However I'm sure there's at least one out there, and that's the guy who consistently outbids me on ebay. No idea who he is, or how to find out. So yeah I guess I feel your pain there...

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
As a Yankees collector, I realize theres a ton of other collecters out there (some on this board) who just have more $ than I do. Sure it sucks losing something u wanted, but its part of the game. I dont hate em or get mad over it. Plus, unless its a #1/1, you'll usually end up finding another. And there's timed when your the 1 who scores the good stuff, and they feel your pain then, so it all evens out

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Since I switched Pc's I know of 2 other collectors that have the same PC but seem to be less vocal/active online. heck I've reached out to both and been given the cold shoulder. player and set collectors both have been my nemesis on feebay.
only twice have I been able to attribute a loss to the same buyer and only on extremely rare items. I like to think I made them overpay substantially, because well, I was ready to.
I've gotten to the point I dont compare, I don't worry about keeping up or ahead and I don't go beyond my own comfort level.
if I miss out, another will show. patience and being proud of your own collection is what matters.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Sometimes it's actually a good thing. [MENTION=3754]MansGame[/MENTION] is another Belle collector I met on these boards who has really helped me out. He's helped me get some of the best cards in my collection, and even sends me links to cards that come up. Luckily for me though, he has more than 90% of all Belle cards ever made, so usually if something cool comes up, he's already got it.

djmilhaus

Sep 8, 2014
Seattle
I was a PC for hockey quite some time ago and I battled it out with one other bidder regularly. Was annoying at first, but he eventually reached out to me and we had a long-running email conversation about our favorite player. Why we liked him, talked about his career, what cards we had and wanted, how our lives progressed. That player is retired and I stopped my PC many years ago, but we still occasionally keep in touch. Interestingly, he lives in Germany and I never would have guessed my competition was as passionate about my team and player as I was. More mind-boggling that a German hockey fan collected this Canadian player, too. It might surprise you, but your competition likely enjoys the same player/team you do and would be a good conversation in reality.

Might be worth trying to reach out to sellers who you were the underbidder on and pass along your contact info to the other collector. Might take multiple attempts, but could be fruitful for both.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Look at it along the lines of having a hot wife.

Yes, ****** bags are going to check her out and hit on her.

But at the end of the day, you have a hot wife that other people want.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I don't have much competition from other Tim Wakefield collectors but since he has retired I do see many more Red Sox collectors trying to get their hands on his stuff which makes it harder sometimes.
There are a few Biggio collectors as well, not as many as I would have thought for a guy in the HOF, but for the most part I haven't been in any bidding wars with people.
It's been pointed out already but people that collect the same stuff as you can be your biggest allies. I've worked some great trades with other Sox collectors for Wakefield stuff, others seem to think their guarding the recipe for KFCs 11 herbs and spices and won't talk at all, it's a mixed bag, just have to make the best of it.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I's Retired..................... But Will Take Freebies hehe.........................
cerealbox.jpg

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I don't have much competition from other Tim Wakefield collectors but since he has retired I do see many more Red Sox collectors trying to get their hands on his stuff which makes it harder sometimes.
There are a few Biggio collectors as well, not as many as I would have thought for a guy in the HOF, but for the most part I haven't been in any bidding wars with people.
It's been pointed out already but people that collect the same stuff as you can be your biggest allies. I've worked some great trades with other Sox collectors for Wakefield stuff, others seem to think their guarding the recipe for KFCs 11 herbs and spices and won't talk at all, it's a mixed bag, just have to make the best of it.

I collect both of those guys! Biggio collection is over 1000, but my Wakefield is a sad little thing (less than 250).

I always thought I was the only one who collected Dick Pole, then this happened:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Topps-...336203?hash=item51fa476e0b:g:BVEAAOSw~XpZRecV

When 4 others went up recently, I won 3 after a war and lost the 4th. This last one went for crazy money to a crazy person who wasn't me.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I collect both of those guys! Biggio collection is over 1000, but my Wakefield is a sad little thing (less than 250).

I always thought I was the only one who collected Dick Pole, then this happened:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Topps-...336203?hash=item51fa476e0b:g:BVEAAOSw~XpZRecV

When 4 others went up recently, I won 3 after a war and lost the 4th. This last one went for crazy money to a crazy person who wasn't me.

Your sad little Wakefield collection is still over 25% of his total number of cards, that's nothing to shake a stick at.

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
I don't really have an issue with others collecting what I collect. In fact, I think it would be kind of personally depressing if no one else shared the same interests. I know it can be frustrating to loose out on auctions, but knowing that it went to another collector who holds with value makes it cool by me. Just having the opportunity to talk about or see what others have amassed is what it is all about. Since I don't feel as though I have to own every Maddux card to be a connoisseur of what I collect, I enjoy cataloging, researching, and sharing/exchanging information with other collectors.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
There are two members on here that collect Bernie. Yank2151 and kid4hof Kevin and Abe both I consider great friends that have help me. Makes collecting fun like it should be.

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I might have to try that one of these days. I am hesitant because it feels like stalking, but on the other hand I suppose that's exactly what it is. I found you, and now I demand that you trade me your cardboard!!!!

Might be worth trying to reach out to sellers who you were the underbidder on and pass along your contact info to the other collector. Might take multiple attempts, but could be fruitful for both.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
get off my lawn :mad:

Who do you collect? How do you deal with other people also collecting what you collect? I think hitmen are out of the question.

I collect Jays, mostly halladay, and I deal with other people collecting what I collect by complaining to online forums...
Check out some of my Halladay PC
HALLADAY, ROY 1.JPG
HALLADAY, ROY 3.JPG
HALLADAY, ROY 4.jpg
HALLADAY, ROY 5.jpg
HALLADAY, ROY 6.jpg

Members online