Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Was the 94 strike responsible for the end of the junk wax era?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I always assumed it ended when people finally realized how mass produced the sets were and with the realization of little to no investment potential it resulted in terrible sales for the companies. Again, just my assumption.

However, I am pretty sure that e-bay helped kill beckett

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I don't think the strike had anything to do with it. I think inserts ended "junk wax".

During the era when all that was offered was base cards, people opened the packs and would be happy pulling a specific player. Then came something more limited. People could now hunt a more limited card for their favorite player. In comparison, those base cards weren't fun anymore. Inserts/parallels became popular. Then in the early 2000s, every set had tons of different parallels, inserts, and insert parallels. Collectors became bored with the saturation of inserts. Then Game Used burst onto the scene (and autos became more widespread). They were awesome, hard to pull, and soon thereafter, overproduced and saturated just like every type of card before.

In the end, mass production of anything (coupled with the appearance of something new and more limited) will continue to scrape up new trends/ideas. Then those trends will be overproduced and die off, and something else will take over.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
If I had to assign responsibility for what killed the junk era, I'd say it was the success of Upper Deck. Manufacturers discovered that collectors would pay more for higher quality cards, and limited print runs improved perceived scarcity. Upper Deck started that train rolling, and then Topps Finest hit with low print run and refractors, and soon high quality production and low numbered inserts helped bring us out of the junk era.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The strike sure killed card sales at the time. You were able to find 94 Boxes for several years after that year at Kmart and similar big box discount stores for cheap. I would also agree that higher quality cards shifted the focus. By 94, everyone has made their base card "better" with UV, foil, holograms or some other gimmick. There were inserts as early as 1984 with glossy AS cards, Fleer AS and similar, almost always in rack packs though, but it wasn't until the autographs, Elites and similar were driving box prices up.

Members online