Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38

Thread: What are the odds on making money on a box?

  1. #16
    Administrator cgilmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    36,019
     fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    Especially with Bowman
    Actually base topps are his best performers.

    Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

  2. #17
    Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    The Carolina on the Southern side
    Posts
    8,465
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgilmo View Post
    Actually base topps are his best performers.

    Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Yup, Bowman & franchise Topps (S1/2/Update) were always the products I purchased in large quantities because I could expect to make the money back.

    The big issue with franchise Topps is that you end up having to spend an ungodly amount of time sorting and eventually it becomes unbearable. If I remember correctly Brent mentioned on BO that he has to hire people to do most of the sorting.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff


  3. #18
    Member JVHaste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    786
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the odds are


  4. #19
    Senior Member RStadlerASU22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    8,840
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelpawn View Post
    Some people also collect cards for fun and not for profit too....
    Which is 100%, though opening wax where the risk of a large loss is higher then not, probably isn't the best route to spread the collecting money around.

    Ryan
    Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN



  5. #20
    Administrator cgilmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    36,019
     fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    Yup, Bowman & franchise Topps (S1/2/Update) were always the products I purchased in large quantities because I could expect to make the money back.

    The big issue with franchise Topps is that you end up having to spend an ungodly amount of time sorting and eventually it becomes unbearable. If I remember correctly Brent mentioned on BO that he has to hire people to do most of the sorting.
    I imagine its mind numbing.

    Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

  6. #21
    Senior Member Pinbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Posts
    9,244
     Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a box of Fleer Genuine Insider for $49.95..


  7. #22
    Senior Member RStadlerASU22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    8,840
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgilmo View Post
    With cards, unlike vegas if you open a critical mass it levels out.

    There is a reason Brent Williams makes the money doing this he does.
    That can be said about certain products, like you mentioned Topps Base which has large followings and low cost wax (comparative). Large scale breaking of expensive wax I would say won't have that leveling point. That's why group breaks exist. It levels out the risk to be not as shocking at the same time allows a percentage to beat the odds.

    Ryan
    Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN



  8. #23
    Administrator cgilmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    36,019
     fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinbreaker View Post
    I bought a box of Fleer Genuine Insider for $49.95..

    Its just that easy.

    Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

  9. #24
    Senior Member Pinbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Posts
    9,244
     Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or just get a case of Topps Five Star and enjoy..









    When collectors still collected Lincy.. $100












    Nice to see a 1/1.. $100


    These two were in one pack..
    (they paid for the case!.. Wright $600 and Jeter $1600)





    I think it comes down to risk/reward.. Only risk what you can can loose and what can you get your optimum value

  10. #25
    Junior Member RagingAcid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Markham, ON
    Posts
    333
     RagingAcid
     @RagingAcid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what you guys are saying is my broke self should buy bowman? Thanks.

  11. #26
    Administrator cgilmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    36,019
     fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingAcid View Post
    So what you guys are saying is my broke self should buy bowman? Thanks.
    50 cases of topps update

    Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

  12. #27
    Junior Member RagingAcid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Markham, ON
    Posts
    333
     RagingAcid
     @RagingAcid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgilmo View Post
    50 cases of topps update

    Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    That's about 50 more cases than I can afford

    Sent from my F5121 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

  13. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Marlton NJ
    Posts
    2,657
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to look for the deals in boxes at shows. I got a box of 2005 upper deck classics for like 10 bucks and pulled this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCHMIDT, MIKE.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	71293
    I collect Ken Griffey Jr, Ryan Howard, Steve Carlton and the rest of the Phillies.
    My Site:
    http://bradswebsite.synthasite.com/

    Matthew 21:22
    "And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, believing, you shall recieve."

  14. #29
    Senior Member Austin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Posts
    5,265
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingAcid View Post
    So what you guys are saying is my broke self should buy bowman? Thanks.
    No, if you're broke, don't waste money buying boxes. Buy single cards or a set that you'll enjoy and like looking at.
    Busting a box when you have little money will make you regret it most of the time. Spending money trying to hit a jackpot has driven away many young collectors.

    If you really want to bust packs, buy the $10 or $20 blaster boxes at Target or Walmart, or find a cheap older box from the late '80s, early '90s at a card shop or show for $5 or $10. Those can be really fun and you won't feel you wasted $75 after busting a modern box with a no-name jersey card as your prize.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

  15. #30
    Junior Member RagingAcid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Markham, ON
    Posts
    333
     RagingAcid
     @RagingAcid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    No, if you're broke, don't waste money buying boxes. Buy single cards or a set that you'll enjoy and like looking at.
    Busting a box when you have little money will make you regret it most of the time. Spending money trying to hit a jackpot has driven away many young collectors.

    If you really want to bust packs, buy the $10 or $20 blaster boxes at Target or Walmart, or find a cheap older box from the late '80s, early '90s at a card shop or show for $5 or $10. Those can be really fun and you won't feel you wasted $75 after busting a modern box with a no-name jersey card as your prize.
    Sorry that isn't fun gonna open a box either way so might as well a good one.

    Sent from my F5121 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •