Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOW TO: Enhance a National Treasures Bash Brothers Booklet - With Pics!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I'm going to keep my writing to a minimum, and try to tell the story mostly with pics.

In 2015, Panini came out with the first BASH BROTHERS booklet card. *It came in two flavors: *Autographed and Patch. *They were numbered to just 5 each.

The Autographed booklet
Pros: First and currently only "real" autographed booklet of the brothers in bash.
Cons: *Drab looking,*it says "combo materials" instead of "combo signatures", the McGwire autograph is UPSIDE DOWN *(NOTE: To the others who have this card, please do not think I'm putting this card down - I really want one!)

bashsig.jpg

The Patch booklet
Pros: The colors of the patches POP LIKE CRAZY. *Plain & simple, the card needed the color. *The Canseco patch is possibly the nastiest non sleeve patch I've ever seen on a card.
Cons: No autographs

bash.jpg

I am STILL*waiting to get my hands on the autographed version. *The patch version above is actually a duplicate for me, as I picked it up in hopes of doing a deal for an autographed version . No dice on that front ... for now.

My excitement about the patch booklet, and lack thereof for the signature booklet caused me to ask people on the forums to see if I was alone, or if they felt the same. *Many people said the patch booklet was their choice, though several also said Panini should have done a combo signature/materials version. *Since I have a double for the moment, I figured ... let's give it a try.

MATERIALS USED: * ALL National Treasures Product (note: The Canseco shown in the pic below is actually the replacement I just picked up on the cheap for my collection.)

all.jpg

STEP ONE: *Pull out the*National Treasures Canseco autograph you are going to be sacrificing for "the greater good"

Untitled-4.jpg

STEP TWO: Carefully begin surgery

step3.jpg

STEP THREE: Hold up the extracted specimen for the camera to see.

step3a.jpg

STEP FOUR: Pull out the McGwire booklet that is about to be carefully disected

step4a.jpg

STEP FIVE: *Show the pics of surgery on the McGwire booklet, and dodge the vomit being hurled by the people watching with weak stomachs

macbust.jpg

STEP SIX: *Show my favorite helper on this project who played a very important role.

dog.jpg

STEP SEVEN: *Surgically implant the signatures into the booklet.

bashfinal.jpg

There you have it, the world's only dual patch / autograph Bash Brothers National Treasures booklet.

PROS: *I did*not have to take apart the booklet at all, and the signatures are not glued down or anything. *They fit very snugly in the windows. *The McGwire autograph is right side up. *The patches are authentic and so are the signatures - ALL from National Treasures.
CONS:*Since this card did not come from Panini with all of the pieces together already, it is not checklisted.

============

As an added bonus, I pulled out a box of Canseco stuff*that just happens to have several autographed game used bat barrel pieces from the game used bat I cut up :D and selected one to put into the castrated National Treasures Canseco card.

step4.jpg

After selecting one and sanding it down, I made a custom National Treasures silver ink bat barrel card:
step6.jpg

step5.jpg

Just like the booklet, it isn't a checklisted, but it utilizes a real National Treasures card and a real game used bat barrel that has been signed in silver ink by Jose.

The question now, is this: *Should I STILL go for the dual signature booklet instead of the booklet I modified above? *I still want it, but it is strange, because I*would be choosing between a non-checklisted booklet with incredible, real patches and authentic signatures vs. a drab, checklisted booklet with no patches. *The official checklist is a strong drug.**What are your thoughts?*

bashfinal.jpg

http://tanmanbaseballfan.com/2017/07/canseco-mcgwire-booklet.html

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
As always I applaud your effort and originality. The auto overlay on the patch is awesome. I'm not a mcgwire or canseco collector but I will say my stomach did a flip flop seeing the process. I just hope you continue to use your powers for good, because you do damn good work, and I don't want to buy forgeries.
To answer your question, of course you need the auto booklet, you just mangled some very nice cards to satisfy your need to have everything. The only part I can't believe about the topic is that you wonder if you need that card.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Legit over custom for me, as the Cheklist part does make a difference. I personally don't really like that Auto/Patch card above just the patch card. If that was gonna be a combo, id want the Sigs on the card above the patches. So the custom doesn't really blow me away. The Canseco you added the bat card into says Clear Sigantures, so I can't get behind that one either. Usually you hit it right, these ones I'm kinda eh on.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
Love it! Too bad you don't run the graphics department over there at Panini.

On a side note, I can only imagine how it would have turned out had I attempted something like that (anger, tears, followed by rocking back and forth in a fetal position).

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I'm a little weary of the endless parade of indistinguishable mid-to-high level patch and auto cards, but I think you hit on something with a clear autograph placed over the GU part. I really like that. Has there been a major release with this idea? I wouldn't mind seeing it next year...

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
As always I applaud your effort and originality. The auto overlay on the patch is awesome. I'm not a mcgwire or canseco collector but I will say my stomach did a flip flop seeing the process. I just hope you continue to use your powers for good, because you do damn good work, and I don't want to buy forgeries.
To answer your question, of course you need the auto booklet, you just mangled some very nice cards to satisfy your need to have everything. The only part I can't believe about the topic is that you wonder if you need that card.

Thanks bstanwood! I promise to never use my powers for evil :)

Legit over custom for me, as the Cheklist part does make a difference. I personally don't really like that Auto/Patch card above just the patch card. If that was gonna be a combo, id want the Sigs on the card above the patches. So the custom doesn't really blow me away. The Canseco you added the bat card into says Clear Sigantures, so I can't get behind that one either. Usually you hit it right, these ones I'm kinda eh on.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

The checklist does make a big difference, for sure. I wish it didn't sometimes. While I can see what you mean about the sigs at the top of the card, I was obviously limited to doing it this way, and I'm glad because I am really digging it :) The clear signature bat barrel was definitely just an afterthought ... as I was putting up the pieces, I said "Hey! I wonder if this will fit!" So, at the moment, it is a cool looking holder for the barrel piece I guess, lol.

Love it! Too bad you don't run the graphics department over there at Panini.

On a side note, I can only imagine how it would have turned out had I attempted something like that (anger, tears, followed by rocking back and forth in a fetal position).

Thanks! Haha - yeah, it was a bit nerve wracking. I have ripped apart several significantly more expensive pieces for other projects, but they were for other people.

I'm a little weary of the endless parade of indistinguishable mid-to-high level patch and auto cards, but I think you hit on something with a clear autograph placed over the GU part. I really like that. Has there been a major release with this idea? I wouldn't mind seeing it next year...

Topps Strata has some stuff like this - I do love me some Strata!

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
That's very cool. Come on Topps/Panini/Whoever, sign this guy up for your design department for new ways to take cards to the next level.

Members online