Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

JOSE QUINTANA TRADED TO THE CUBS FOR ELOY JIMENEZ/DYLAN CEASE/MATT ROSE & BRYANT FLETE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Confirmed by their Twitter.

The rich just got MUCH richer.

WOW. :mrgreen:

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Both, but more so the Sox.

Agreed. The Cubs pick up a great pitcher but I question changing the strategy that brought them success, seems short sighted to me. I have never been a WS fan but they are going to be a very exciting team to watch in the coming years and their front office has done the best job of building a system quickly in recent memory.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
My revised Sox top 10 - Moncada, Jimenez, Kopech, Giolito, Robert, Cease, Lopez, Collins, Hansen, Dunning.

Now THAT'S stacked.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
How about a revised Cubs list. Not sure if they have any in the top 200.

Little, Lange, Candelario, Alzolay, Albertos, de la Cruz, Clifton, Hatch, Zagunis, Wilson.

Last edited:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I'm a little surprised the cubbies traded him but given how young and loaded the roster is barring serious injuries they have time to rebuild the farm, seems decent on both sides to me, plus they could knock it out over lunch in the same city, done deal.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
The Cubs will regret this.

Why? Their window to win is over the next few years and Eloy wasn't going to help with that....the Cubs lose both Lackey/Arrieta next season so now they have a solid #2 locked up for the next 3.5 years. Cubs definitely aren't equipped to build long term so they might as well use the last of their assets to get the best pitcher on the trade market this year...which will allow them to stay competitive over the near future. His contract is a bargain so they will be able to sign another free agent this offseason to fill a need. Good trade for both sides IMO.

Jjoey52

Feb 12, 2017
Quintana 50-54 with a 3.52 ERA, 1.25 whip in 6 years. Decent numbers, but certainly not great. IMO the Sox came out ahead on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
This trade shows how the buyer/seller ratio is skewed with the 2nd wildcard... not many teams want to sell, and the pitching market is extra thin = overpay.

Not sure if a team like the Yanks even has enough bridges to burn to go after pitching. (without regrets that is)

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Why? Their window to win is over the next few years and Eloy wasn't going to help with that....the Cubs lose both Lackey/Arrieta next season so now they have a solid #2 locked up for the next 3.5 years. Cubs definitely aren't equipped to build long term so they might as well use the last of their assets to get the best pitcher on the trade market this year...which will allow them to stay competitive over the near future. His contract is a bargain so they will be able to sign another free agent this offseason to fill a need. Good trade for both sides IMO.

I'm in no way saying Quintana is bad, because he's not. They got a solid pitcher for sure, and I understand why they got him, but I believe what they gave up will be far more productive over the long haul. Perhaps depressingly more productive.

Just a hunch. :)

Members online