Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: What if...a SP'd reverse negative version of the Griffey '89 Upper Deck Griffey existed?

  1. #1
    Junior Member sierra79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Deland, Florida
    Posts
    191
     sierrajunior7
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What if...a SP'd reverse negative version of the Griffey '89 Upper Deck Griffey existed?

    Just fun food for thought...

    With prices of the Thomas NNOF on the rise, it got me thinking about what the 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. RC might fetch had a reverse negative error of his card in quantanties similar to the NNOF existed. Any guesses???

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,593
     piledriver1
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there were ~400 of them, probably NNOF+50%. Or maybe NNOF x 5. Could be a card that's important and rare and have something of a value in line with other important Griffey rarities. Or it could be one of those cards that's just out of line with other comparables. Not that there are many comparables for that era. Is the Purple hat Griffey a real thing? I think one of Griffey's minor league cards has a scarce variation, but nothing comes to mind in the major leagues until you get to 93 Finest refractors or something.
    Looking for 2014 Topps Heritage Black Refractors and 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs

    I collect Frank Thomas and Grady Sizemore



  3. #3
    Senior Member Austin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Posts
    5,150
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean like the '89 Upper Deck Dale Murphy "error?"

    A Griffey would never have had a print run as low as the Thomas NNOF because Upper Deck would have reprinted it just like they reprinted the normal Griffey rookie for dealers to buy in bricks of hundreds. (from the book, Card Sharks)
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees


  4. #4
    Junior Member sierra79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Deland, Florida
    Posts
    191
     sierrajunior7
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    You mean like the '89 Upper Deck Dale Murphy "error?"

    A Griffey would never have had a print run as low as the Thomas NNOF because Upper Deck would have reprinted it just like they reprinted the normal Griffey rookie for dealers to buy in bricks of hundreds. (from the book, Card Sharks)
    Like the Dale Murphy...the reference to the Thomas NNOF as a comparable of its current price point and it's estimated print run.

    The Murphy reverse negative was corrected earlier on, which is why there is a premium on that card (albeit a much smaller one than the Thomas).

  5. #5
    Junior Member sierra79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Deland, Florida
    Posts
    191
     sierrajunior7
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    If there were ~400 of them, probably NNOF+50%. Or maybe NNOF x 5. Could be a card that's important and rare and have something of a value in line with other important Griffey rarities. Or it could be one of those cards that's just out of line with other comparables. Not that there are many comparables for that era. Is the Purple hat Griffey a real thing? I think one of Griffey's minor league cards has a scarce variation, but nothing comes to mind in the major leagues until you get to 93 Finest refractors or something.
    I would have to venture that something like that could have hit upwards of 100K in a BGS10, similar to what the '86 Jordan. While Jordan is obviously in a league of his own as an athlete, the '89 Upper Deck Griffey is arguably most iconic sportcard of that era. As for iconic baseball cards, we have the pre war Wagner, the post war Mantle, and the modern era Griffey. If Griffey's card can still garner what it currently does in raw condition, despite a million of those things having had been printed, I think that says a lot not only about himself but the importance of that piece of cardboard as an iconic symbol too.

  6. #6
    Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Senior Member
    mouschi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,546
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about this?!?!

    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!
    Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know! www.CansecoCollector.com

  7. #7
    Junior Member sierra79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Deland, Florida
    Posts
    191
     sierrajunior7
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
    What about this?!?!

    $1,000,000 easy. Maybe $2,000,000 if the back is upside down too LOL.

  8. #8
    Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Senior Member
    mouschi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,546
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra79 View Post
    $1,000,000 easy. Maybe $2,000,000 if the back is upside down too LOL.
    You know it is!!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!
    Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know! www.CansecoCollector.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •