Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Starting an autographed baseball collection....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gamebird

Jul 12, 2017
Hi guys, first time poster.
Im Pete from upstate NY and just now going to get into baseball autograph collecting. I have the great opportunity in starting this because of my location near Cooperstown NY.I am planning on attending the HOF weekend and would like to start my collection then. Now, I do not have an unlimited budget, but would like peoples opinion on which players may be good to start with. Im guessing that based on players age and health (ability to get future signings) would be a big factor. I would like to post the names of signers and would love if people would chime in on their opinion of who the begin with. I have purchased Official Major League Baseballs and have also purchased blue ball point pens and UV protection ball qubes. If you would/could post your top 10 in the order in which you would get them. Here is a list...in NO specific order.

Rod Carew
Al Kaline
John*Smoltz
Mike Piazza
Wade Boggs (also, available in Saratoga Springs in September)
Orlando Cepeda
Craig Biggio
Andre Dawson
Dennis Eckersely
Jim Rice
Brooks Robinson
Bruce Sutter
Ozzie Smith
Ryne Sandberg
Eddie Murray
Doc Gooden
Robin Yount
Tom Glavine
Frank Thomas
Tony LaRussa
Barry Larkin
Jim Leyritz
Roberto Alomar
Johnny Bench
Billy Williams
Dave Winfield
Whitey Herzog
Rickey Henderson
Fergie Jenkins
Gaylord Perry
Juan Marichal
Rollie Fingers
Pete Rose
Joe Morgan
Tony Perez

My purpose of starting my collection would be to have them worth something to leave for my daughter. I know they wont be worth anything near a Ty Cobb or a Babe Ruth, but you have to start some where...lol Thanks for anyones input and ideas.
Pete

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
price on some will be real high . Of list Whitey Herzog should be one of the older , Gaylord signs on tour but is getting older . Ozzie Smith , Brooks Robinson and Al Kaline would be on list . I've had the chance to talk to Gaylord and get FREE auto .
I would start with team you like . None of these played on teams I like

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Hi guys, first time poster.
Im Pete from upstate NY and just now going to get into baseball autograph collecting. I have the great opportunity in starting this because of my location near Cooperstown NY.I am planning on attending the HOF weekend and would like to start my collection then. Now, I do not have an unlimited budget, but would like peoples opinion on which players may be good to start with. Im guessing that based on players age and health (ability to get future signings) would be a big factor. I would like to post the names of signers and would love if people would chime in on their opinion of who the begin with. I have purchased Official Major League Baseballs and have also purchased blue ball point pens and UV protection ball qubes. If you would/could post your top 10 in the order in which you would get them. Here is a list...in NO specific order.

Rod Carew
Al Kaline
John*Smoltz
Mike Piazza
Wade Boggs (also, available in Saratoga Springs in September)
Orlando Cepeda
Craig Biggio
Andre Dawson
Dennis Eckersely
Jim Rice
Brooks Robinson
Bruce Sutter
Ozzie Smith
Ryne Sandberg
Eddie Murray
Doc Gooden
Robin Yount
Tom Glavine
Frank Thomas
Tony LaRussa
Barry Larkin
Jim Leyritz
Roberto Alomar
Johnny Bench
Billy Williams
Dave Winfield
Whitey Herzog
Rickey Henderson
Fergie Jenkins
Gaylord Perry
Juan Marichal
Rollie Fingers
Pete Rose
Joe Morgan
Tony Perez

My purpose of starting my collection would be to have them worth something to leave for my daughter. I know they wont be worth anything near a Ty Cobb or a Babe Ruth, but you have to start some where...lol Thanks for anyones input and ideas.
Pete

my must haves would be:
Kaline
Robinson
yount
bench
marichal
frank thomas
piazza
Smith
carew
Perez

couldn't go wrong with any of them really. best of luck

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Also, it might depend on who you have the opportunity to get. The list that [MENTION=4030]michaelstepper[/MENTION] gave is a perfect group, but also go by age, as some may not be able to sign in the future. Any HOFer is going to be a great addition to a collection.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I'd look up the ages of the list you have and start working on the older ones.. due to the fact they are older they don't get the respect that they should as the younger kids only care about Bryce Harper, Kris Bryant, etc..

You can get some deals on EBAY.. I have snagged some players that were around $20 to $30 or so.. (the cost of a ball is around $10, so they aren't that much really)

Good luck,

gamebird

Jul 12, 2017
I have been watching some on Ebay....but forgeries scare the S*** out of me. I'm not experienced enough yet to pick out the fakes yet. I do agree with the "age" thing...Ill have to google to see who is oldest to youngest. I do wish I could trust Ebay. There is even concern with those posted with COA's....some have said that even the "highly reputable" authenticity companies are suspect.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Buy PSA/DNA or JSA and you'll be fine. A few others are good too. But those 2 are pretty solid and many if those players listed shouldn't be to costly. SigAuctions.com has weekly auctions that have players like this available.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I have auto'd baseballs from:

UDA: Upper Deck Authenticated
PSA/DNA
Harmon Killebrew Authentication
Reggie Jackson Authentication
JSA Authentication
Millcreeksports

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
BTW ; I have 350 plus signed minor league baseballs signed - 5% maybe made it . These are game hit by player .

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Buy PSA/DNA or JSA and you'll be fine. A few others are good too. But those 2 are pretty solid and many if those players listed shouldn't be to costly. SigAuctions.com has weekly auctions that have players like this available.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

OP, I totally agree with this post, especially since you stated that you're looking to leave them for your daughter. Getting the autographs in person will be WAY more expensive than getting them on ebay. On the other hand, if you have a favorite player or two, and you're looking forward to the experience of meeting them in person, then it might be worth the extra money to get the autographs in Cooperstown.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I believe Sandberg, Boggs, Robinson, Kaline, and Dawson will all sign a ball in the mail for a small donation to charity (usually way cheaper than a sit down signing). So no reason to stand in line and pay a Cooperstown fee for those guys IMO. Baseballs can be sent pretty easily in a ziplock baggie inside a bubble mailer through the mail (not a bad idea to send a desired pen in the package too).

And don't overpay for Pete Rose. Those are practically free lol

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Also, not up there in age but I see you have Frank Thomas on there. You already have Griffey? Of "our generation" he and Jeter will likely be desirable for many many years

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Sounds like you already know this but definitely do ROMLB and blue bic crystal pens. Not any random blue pen.

My order based on age/health:
Carew - just had heart transplant so get him while you can
Kaline
Cepeda - old and getting shaky
Brooks Robinson - old and getting shaky
Those 4 would be must gets now for me. The next group is interchangable, all about the same age.
Herzog
Morgan
Marichal
Bench
Williams
Rose
Perez
Perry
Jenkins

Members online