Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How can I prevent the ebay chargeback scam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I'm pretty sure e-bay won't accept that as proof of shipment if someone claims he never received your card.

As long as you send with tracking you are covered. That will be the only thing that protects you when someone claims item wasn't received which is why I (and most sellers) always print my own shipping labels via ebay, as the tracking number is automatically recorded. You, ebay and the buyer can track the movement of your card(s) at all times. When you don't send a tracking number there is no proof of delivery to provide ebay with when an "item not received" case is opened by the buyer and ebay generally sides with the buyer.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Agree with everything that's been said. 99% of the time ebay sides with the buyer on claims anyways, but if you don't send with tracking you have no shot. Always send with tracking. I will also add that for cards over a couple hundred bucks, send with signature required and if it's a really valuable card 1K+ I'd send it registered mail. Just try to cover yourself as best as possible.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'd guess most buyers are honest. However, the bad ones sting hard and get lots of press from angry sellers. Same can be said for crappy sellers as well. I just dove back into selling after a very long break and have already had issues. My luck is extremely bad with buyers on eBay historically and I won't take any crap, so I expose myself even further. For example, my first batch of sales back, a guy retracted his bids (he made multiple bids) on an item that was up in the $60 range and the other bidder ended up winning it for a buck! He happened to win 2 other lots of mine unchallenged as well for $1 each. I cancelled the first auction, apologized to the winner and explained that I felt this bidding activity was a little too suspicious. I offered to resist it and invited that bidder to rebid. I never heard back from the winner either way. I then cancelled the retracting bidders wins as well, explaining that I didn't like the bidding patterns/tactics he used on the other listing and blocked him as a bidder. He turned around and left me negatives on his two wins, causing me of wanting to get more. The best part of this story, all three items were relisted and sold for a buck each. The original winner of the one item never bid again. You just never know what you'll get online.

Point being, I think you just have to cover yourself as best you can and hope you don't end up with a D-Bag trade partner.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
As far as ebay is concerned, it's the seller's responsibility to get the item to the buyer in the condition described. Logically, that's not possible unless you hand-deliver everything. As a seller once told me when the artwork I bought from him, shipped between 2 big pieces of masonite arrived bent in half when I got it from the PO, when it comes to damaging packages, the USPS has all the tools.

The vast majority of stuff sold on ebay by total volume of items sold is likely mass-produced stuff. The iphone cases, the cheap electronics, the household goods, the baubles, bangles, and beads, are all sold cheap and by the thousand, and condition, such as it is, doesn't matter to most buyers. With something like collectibles where condition is evaluated by electron microscopy, it's a tougher job. Even in the most obvious situation, I've been on the losing end. I bought a PSA 8 card and I received a raw VG- card, and the seller said he "wanted to keep the case" or something stupid. I filed a complaint with ebay and they sided with the seller saying they couldn't guarantee subjective things like grades on cards. This was over 10 years ago and things have changed, but apparently I'm the only buyer to lose a "not as described" case.

Similarly, insurance is there to protect you, not the seller. So, always ship with tracking, always use insurance, and while taking pictures or video may make you feel better I seriously doubt it will have any impact on the case. Just be as smart and thorough as you can with documentation.

djmilhaus

Sep 8, 2014
Seattle
There isn't enough information here to give you good advice. Is the buyer claiming the cards are not received? They are not as described? Did he open a case with eBay or PayPal? What has the communication been between you and the buyer? I see you sent with tracking, which is good. What does the tracking show on USPS? Did you mail them ONLY to his PayPal confirmed address?

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
There isn't enough information here to give you good advice. Is the buyer claiming the cards are not received? They are not as described? Did he open a case with eBay or PayPal? What has the communication been between you and the buyer? I see you sent with tracking, which is good. What does the tracking show on USPS? Did you mail them ONLY to his PayPal confirmed address?

Nothing has been done yet. He's trying to be proactive.

djmilhaus

Sep 8, 2014
Seattle
Nothing has been done yet. He's trying to be proactive.

Ah ha, that makes more sense. I (obviously) thought this was a current transaction. Thanks :)

edit - I think the only thing I mentioned that I don't see covered: ONLY send to PayPal confirmed address. If you get messages to send anywhere else after the purchase, don't do it. Offer to either send to their confirmed address or cancel the order, have them update their PP address to where they want to send, then repurchase. If they are legit buyers, they'll follow through with a re-buy or be ok sending to proper address. You have no seller protection sending it anywhere else, even with tracking.

Last edited:

Members online