Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Post your favorite Prototype / Unreleased Card(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Someone on another forum posted a thread "post a rare card that isn't a 1/1" or something like that. It really got my juices going, because it had prototype written all over it, and let's face it - NOBODY does prototype/obscure card talk better than FCB! I wrote a huge thing on it, but I'll just start off with one:

1989 TOPPS GOLD BORDER ALL STAR
This *might* be my favorite in this category: 1989 Topps Gold Border All Star. This was BGS certified at one point, but the guy before me busted it out of the case. I have seen other players such as Roger Clemens and MAYBE one other player, but never two of the same.

0610192.jpg

What are one/some of your favorite prototype / unreleased / etc. cards?

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
1988 Action Packed Ozzie Smith. SCD lists this as scarcer than the others in the 6-card promo set. No idea how rare they are to Ozzie collectors, but I'd imagine it's kind of one of those scoop it up if you find one listed type of cards.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I've seen a Frank and a Jeter but according to my ARod checklist he's supposed to have one, but I've never seen it.

I know the Thomases and Jeters all came from the same source whom bought 10 of each, thought to be the only 10 made, from the bankruptcy auctions. I don't recall him ever having other players, but I've seen a Ripken, and I think I've seen an ARod. I'd gamble they're out there somewhere over not having been produced.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
This is an interesting one I got from rstadler. A prototype that ended up turning into two different sets. This is a single foldout card. The outside is the fortune 15, the inside the upper half of club 40.

f-27853.jpg
b-27853.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have that Thomas and I am almost sure I got it from a hobby dealer in my area at the time the product was releasing. I could be mistaken though, so I can't say this with 100% certainty. If that is not the case, then it definitely came from eBay, but it would have been a long time ago.

I know the Thomases and Jeters all came from the same source whom bought 10 of each, thought to be the only 10 made, from the bankruptcy auctions. I don't recall him ever having other players, but I've seen a Ripken, and I think I've seen an ARod. I'd gamble they're out there somewhere over not having been produced.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have that Thomas and I am almost sure I got it from a hobby dealer in my area at the time the product was releasing. I could be mistaken though, so I can't say this with 100% certainty. If that is not the case, then it definitely came from eBay, but it would have been a long time ago.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
98 Pinnacle Totally Certified Blue. I've never seen any other 98 certified blue of any player so, I'm pretty happy to have found one of Andruw.

1998PinnacleTotallyCertifiedPlat-2.jpg
IMG_0494.JPG

Last edited:

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX

Is is the one like I posted originally or one like this?

s-l225.jpg

A sample version similar to this one was sent out during release time.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Definitely the Big Picture version. it was at the height of my Thomas collecting frenzy...

Is is the one like I posted originally or one like this?

s-l225.jpg

A sample version similar to this one was sent out during release time.

Members online