Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Great pairings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
There have been a million cards made that feature 2 players on the same card. The Topps Stadium-Club Cosigners set that began back in the 90's was one of the first "chase cards" for me.

Often the players paired have very little to do with each other, but occasionally certain pairs come along that belong together.

In the pickup thread, [MENTION=2078]bigalbert[/MENTION] posted a Machado/Ripken dual autograph card he picked up which of course pairs the past and present of the Orioles, both players on the left side of the infield etc.

Which other pairs that include players playing today would be epic (it is ok if they've been featured on a card together already).

These are the ones I came up with:

Kershaw/Koufax - the comparisons are constant and deserved. Both dominant lefty pitchers, both class acts, and both of course pitch for the Dodgers
Machado/Ripken (mentioned above)
Trout/Harper - Both generational players whose careers have been compared from day 1. Different personalities, but each is a mega-star and can change the image of baseball for the next 15 years
Chris Sale/Pedro Martinez - Maybe a little early, but each came to Boston and struck out everyone around

Who do you have?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Junior/Mays

We've had Junior/Mantle but I like that duo a little better.

For players who are no longer active, Griffey/Musial is the most interesting Griffey duo for me. Both were born in Donora, PA born on November 21.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Put it in the waaaay to early category, devers/boggs.

How about verlander/newhouser. I don't follow the tigers that close, maybe it's been done but two pitchers who won MVPs for the same team is pretty rare

I'd fall apart if I could see a very well done 6 player rice/Lynn/Evans with Benintendi/Bradley/betts

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I'll keep it as 2 pairing matchups to avoid a cluster of small autos / pics... (Yes, some have been done before) And obviously people who are alive. Some of these you could mix/match some ways and it would be cool too. IMO

Ryan/Johnson (Rangers/DBax)
Ryan/Clemens (Mets/Sox)
McGwire/Pujols (Cardinals)
McGwire/Canseco (As)
Johnson/Pedro (Expos)
Sosa/Mcgwire (Cubs/Cardinals)
ARod/Griffey (Mariners)
Bench/Fisk
Piazza/Pudge
Bonds/Aaron
Chipper/Schmidt
Reggie/Jeter (A NY Playoff Thing)
Kruk/Randy
Clark/Mcgwire (Giants/As)
Brock/Rickey
Nolan/Ventura
Eckersley/Gibson
Frank Robinson/Brooks
Maddux/Glavine
Brien Taylor/Van Popple

I'll add some more later.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Man, I had another list and must have forgot to hit send and it didn't save.

Johnson/Shilling
Bonilla/Bonds
Strawberry/Gooden
Edgar/Ortiz

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Here's a few.. I just received my Randy Johnson / John Kruk dual from Topps the other day.. (no scan yet)
Luckily I scanned this before it faded..

07-ss-dual-red.jpg

edgar-olerud.jpg

5star-em-kg-a.jpg

griffeys-dual-patch-auto1.jpg

mantle-griffey-dual-a.jpg

tino-harold.jpg

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
I'm bias, but Doerr/Pedroia is up there in my book. Same Position (which is a big factor IMO), same attitude, same consistency in both!

The Passing the Torch series is really underrated IMO for doing a good job of matching up players.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Tim Wakefield/Steven Wright would be cool

The Hoyt Wilhelm Tim Wakefield Phil Niekro 2007 triple threads is in my top 5 favorite cards of all time... anything knuckleballers is cool to me. It's kind of a niche though, the commercial wasn't "chicks dig the knuckleball" after all.

Members online

Latest posts