Thread: What is it? help needed. A's, O's and Johnny Damon auto item

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is it? help needed. A's, O's and Johnny Damon auto item

Found this going thru my Dad's stuff.

Looks like an authentic signed in-person autograph. Couldn't find any info online at all, not even on the Postcard by itself.

I know the O's do a ton of pre-game auto sessions with current and former players so it might be from that but to have Damon do one of those doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20403353_1360341424020616_1352440280_n (2).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	71592

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20403563_1360341307353961_372827553_n.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	71593
    Currently looking for: 2012 Ultra football (1992 style) #31 Rudy and Gold parallel version of 2011 Bowman Platinum Chase Utley #94.

Always looking for: 2008 BC Jake Peavy Orange Refractors /25, have 6 so far.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it was from a local charity event that he was promoting in the city?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely looks like something from a local signing he was doing. Would've been a handout if you didn't have anything of your own to get signed maybe. I'd almost think it was something to do with Topps sponsoring because it is a Topps Finest card and isn't some generic no logo picture.

Just spitballing here, but was he an All-Star with the A's and the ASG in Baltimore that year? Could've been a fanfest deal?

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the card actually part of it, or did your dad add it after the fact so he knew who the sig was?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
    Is the card actually part of it, or did your dad add it after the fact so he knew who the sig was?
    It's attached with one of those small clear adhesive bubbles, I don't think my Dad did it.

And the ASG was in Baltimore when Damon was a rookie in KC...
    Currently looking for: 2012 Ultra football (1992 style) #31 Rudy and Gold parallel version of 2011 Bowman Platinum Chase Utley #94.

johnryno2012
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camden Yards was a huge deal. The Inner Harbor had been slowly been climbing out of the harsh 70's/80's recession, and the new stadium unofficially ushered in a new, "revitalized" downtown. There isn't much else in this city to put on a postcard, anyway.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody else got any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A's just left town, any chance for more info?

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The postcard was distributed by the Traub Company of Baltimore. A little internet research shows the company opened its doors there in 2008, so the postcard dates from 2008 or later.

There were rumors from Jan to May of 2012 that Damon was going to sign with Baltimore. Wonder if there is any tie-in to that.

What is printed on the card that is partially hidden in your photo by the baseball card near the bottom edge of the card?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's just a generic postcard someone had Damon sign at a game - then someone got creative and stuck the card on the postcard, so he or she would remember who it was signed by.

Baltimore (Chicago and Milwaukee at heart)
     jlklemp28
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was curious so I tried to research the heck out of this, and I even asked around (I've got a few friends who've had season tickets for a long time and attend all the promotional events they can), but I couldn't find anything about it (except what gracecollector mentioned) and nobody else knew anything.
    Warren Spahn // Austin Jackson // 2012 Press Pass Showcase Masterpieces
    //
    2007 SP Rookie Edition Autos //2008 Masterpieces: Patch & Patch Auto, Relic
    & Relic Auto, Stroke of Genius, & Color Parallels (Red, Blue 125, Brown 100, Green 75,
    Blue 50, Silver 25, Gold 10, & Blue 5) // My Gallery

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    I think it's just a generic postcard someone had Damon sign at a game - then someone got creative and stuck the card on the postcard, so he or she would remember who it was signed by.
    This one gets my vote. Looks like a freebee postcard you would find in a hotel or someplace. Maybe someone grabbed a few, when to catch to O's game and got some guys to sign. Then, attaching the card makes sense so you don't forget who the sig belongs to.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." Abraham Lincoln