Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Home Run Catch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Anyone watching the Red Sox/Indians game just see this?

Hanley Ramirez just hit a bomb to CF, and Austin Jackson ran back to the wall up against the bullpen and caught the ball 2ft over the wall [robbed him of a HR] and fell over the wall into the bullpen (held onto the ball). It was ruled an out but IMO it should be a HR because he fell into home run territory after the catch. What's the official ruling on this? Did the umps get it right?

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
They do call it an out, I can't recall exactly but remember in 2013 I think it was in the playoffs vs Detroit someone went ass over tea kettle into the bullpen and it was an out. Or Jeter diving into the stands, more recently judge, Rizzo on the tarp and into the seats a couple years ago etc... I agree Scotty, to be an out the player and ball need to stay on the playing field.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
They do call it an out, I can't recall exactly but remember in 2013 I think it was in the playoffs vs Detroit someone went ass over tea kettle into the bullpen and it was an out. Or Jeter diving into the stands, more recently judge, Rizzo on the tarp and into the seats a couple years ago etc... I agree Scotty, to be an out the player and ball need to stay on the playing field.

Difference with those is that those are in foul territory and the catch tonight was in fair [home run] territory...I guess the ruling to me doesn't make sense, lol.

Jjoey52

Feb 12, 2017
I would call it an out, he first caught it on the field of play, but then momentum carried him over, right call imho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I once asked an umpire during our softball games. There is an area that is out of play, where you could still catch a ball. He said his interpretation of the rule was you must remain in the field of play. I could catch the ball in play, but if my momentum took me out of the field of play, he would call it as such. Same with a home run. If my momentum took me over the fence, he would call it a homerun. If you lean over the fence and catch it, it's an out. If I were to lean over the fence, catch the ball, then fall over the fence he would call it foul or a home run depending on where the ball was hit.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL

That was Torii Hunter who went into the bullpen in 2013 and it was a home run because he missed the catch. It led to a famous shot with the Boston cop celebrating.

aed69892dd36075158419246c7ba649a.jpg
bb0aee977fa4c52cd34a84f013ec37ab.jpg

As for this one, I think it was an out. He made the catch with his body in the field of play and his momentum carried him out.

However it's doesn't matter because CHRISTIAN freaking VASQUEZ with the walk off bomb! Wow what a game!

Thanks,
Jeff

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Difference with those is that those are in foul territory and the catch tonight was in fair [home run] territory...I guess the ruling to me doesn't make sense, lol.

So wouldn't it be a foul ball instead of an out?

As long as you aren't out of play before you catch the ball, it's an out.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The only thing that bothers me about the Buhner play is that the ump couldn't see if he held onto the ball or not. There is the possibility he might've bobbled it or it came out when he landed.

But yeah, I've always understood the rule to be that if the ball is in the glove it doesn't matter where the body lands.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
I just found this in the MLB baseball rules (here is a link to it as well): http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2007/06_the_batter.pdf

6.05 A batter is out when—
(a) His fair or foul fly ball (other than a foul tip) is legally caught by a fielder;

Rule 6.05(a) Comment: A fielder may reach into, but not step into, a dugout to make a catch,
and if he holds the ball, the catch shall be allowed. A fielder, in order to make a catch on a foul ball
nearing a dugout or other out-of-play area (such as the stands), must have one or both feet on or over
the playing surface (including the lip of the dugout) and neither foot on the ground inside the dugout
or in any other out-of-play area. Ball is in play, unless the fielder, after making a legal catch, falls
into a dugout or other out-of-play area, in which case the ball is dead. Status of runners shall be as
described in Rule 7.04(c) Comment.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
But yeah, I've always understood the rule to be that if the ball is in the glove it doesn't matter where the body lands.

This is what I've always assumed.

Rule 6.05(a) Comment: A fielder may reach into, but not step into, a dugout to make a catch,
and if he holds the ball, the catch shall be allowed. A fielder, in order to make a catch on a foul ball
nearing a dugout or other out-of-play area (such as the stands), must have one or both feet on or over
the playing surface (including the lip of the dugout) and neither foot on the ground inside the dugout
or in any other out-of-play area. Ball is in play, unless the fielder, after making a legal catch, falls
into a dugout or other out-of-play area, in which case the ball is dead. Status of runners shall be as
described in Rule 7.04(c) Comment.

The Rule 6.05(a) comments only appear to be in reference to balls caught in foul territory. They only mention balls caught in dugout or other out-of-play areas but nothing about balls caught in fair (home run) territory. Am I interpreting this wrong? The wording is a bit confusing.

Members online