Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Your first "good insert" from a pack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
What was your first good insert from a pack?

"Good" is relative to you so maybe that $3 Mattingly wasn't big, but you collected him and it was awesome.

For me, surprising, it came from 1991 score hockey when I got a Bobby Orr insert (used to be pretty rare).

I also recall getting a bunch of Jordan SP baseball cards from a case of 1991 ud even though they were supposed to be harder.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Those 10 or 12 card set Fleer All Star inserts from 86 and 87 were the first I remember pulling from packs and being excited about (especially 86 as they were harder packs to find). I started collecting after the 60s and early 70s pack inserts were common and then stopped collecting for a time just before inserts were becoming popular, so I didn't get back into pack buying until 1993/94, when inserts were in full crazy mode. In those days, finding anything greater than a 1:36 odds was a thrill.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
In 1994 I bought a box of 1993 Donruss from Big Lots and pulled a Sheffield Elite insert. The next year, I bought a single pack of 1995 Leaf Limited, specifically for a shot at a Frank Thomas Lumberjacks, and pulled it.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
1987 Topps was the first I remember being completely amazed at the All-Star cards. Thought those were the coolest. I also remember pulling a Frank Thomas out of 1994 Finest, at the time I think it was a $20 card or something and thought I just found gold.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I always seemed to have better luck with other sports than baseball. I pulled a Kerry Collins rc artist proof from 95 pinnacle, that was hot at the time. I forget the exact year, 96 or 97 I pulled a Jerry rice action packed "studs" card with the diamond flake in it. With baseball I seemingly always have to trade or buy my way in.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Basketball in the 90s Shaq Upper Deck Trade Card and 92-93 Ultra All Rookie Team.
Baseball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
1992 Donruss Elite Griffey, also loved chasing after the Diamond Kings frm that Year also
front.jpg

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1986 Fleer All-Stars or Future Hall of Famers.
I opened a wax box the day they cam out and pulled a bunch of those, but I have no idea which player was first.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I think I pulled a Jordan card from 1991 Upper Deck. That was pretty sweet at the time. Still is, actually. Such an innocent time, something like that was actually innovative and cool.

In 1992 I found a supermarket that sold the Fleer magazine jumbo packs. They were translucent and the Rookie Sensations practically jumped out of the packs at you. Couldn't resist those. I think I got an Ivan Rodriguez and another guy I'm sure ended up being a common.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
1992-93 Fleer Rookie Sensations Larry Johnson. A really hot card upon release and I sold it for $20 at a LCS.

I also pulled a couple of 1990-91 Rookie Sensations cards of Tim Hardaway, but it took a few years for those to heat up.

Matthew J Burrows

Jun 7, 2016
Southeast Alaska
I didn't get the chance to buy many packs growing up in Soldotna, Alaska that were hobby but one that really stands out as a "good" insert out of a pack was a Piazza 1999 Metal Diamond Soul that booked at $20 at the time. They are really sweet cards and I have an A-Rod I was able to snag at $4 on ebay.

Members online

Latest posts