Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Don Baylor......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Oh No! I liked Baylor a lot growing up. Very fine player. After I moved to Austin and learned he was from and still lived here I felt a certain affinity. Baylor, Dutch, rough week for ballplayers of that era.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Sad to hear this as well. Not a good 24hrs in baseball.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Jjoey52

Feb 12, 2017
I will remember him for the 1979 season when Angels won first division title and as manager of the expansion Colorado Rockies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Everybody remembers Dave Henderson's monster HR to put the Red Sox ahead in game 5 of the 1986 ALCS, but few talk about Baylor bringing the Sox closer to a comeback-- from 5-2 to 5-4-- by hitting a 2-run HR to set Hendu up for that drama.

Baylor said that game was the best of his life: "I've been involved in 2,022 major league games and this was by far the best. . . ." (ref: http://joyofsox.blogspot.com/2016/03/a-look-back-at-1986-alcs-game-5-red-sox.html )

I remember Baylor being a solid threat at the plate in 86 when I got to watch him on a daily basis. He seemed to either strike out, hit a homer, or get hit by a pitch. If he didn't hit a homer, he hit absolute laser shot singles and doubles, which had he gotten under just a bit more would have been rockets out of the yard.

I was always excited to see him come up and crowd the plate the way he did. Also, when he got hit by a pitch, he never looked fazed or in pain. He was a tough man and his fearlessness made him seem a lot bigger than his 6'1" frame when he got in the batter's box. I think he was a rather soft-spoken sort of guy and considered a good teammate.

RIP, Don Baylor.

NOTE, FTR: Baylor got hit by a pitch 35 times in 1986, and led the league 8x in that department, and all of MLB 7x. Fearless!

Last edited:

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Sorry to hear this. I always forget he was a member of the 1987 Twins, who won it all. Good player and a tough guy. Can't imagine getting HBP 267 times. R.I.P. Don

Members online