Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If Nick Markakis (poll)

if nick got 3000 and 600 -- hof?

• yes

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • no

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jjoey52

Feb 12, 2017
If he gets in the HOF that is a sure sign it has become the Hall of Pretty Good. While he is a consistent good player, he has done nothing to stand out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

e.v.

Jan 23, 2011
Asked another way, should you be a hall of famer based on career numbers alone? He would likely be the first hofer that never made an all star game.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Literally nothing. He likely won't be an every day player beyond 35. At that point he doesn't provide enough to justify a starting role over the next 22 year old. Solid player, solid career but if for some reason he ages extremely well and for some reason has a job and cracks out 150 hits for the next 7 years he's still not remotely a HOFer

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Can someone who has never made a single All-Star team make it to the Hall? I mean, it's not a rule for eligibility, and reaching one of the magic numbers in the sport gives you some pretty good legitimacy, but it would be a real dilemma.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
He's got no shot at 3000.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

This.

The question is largely theoretical because of how hard 3000 hits is.

Same with Jaime Moyer and 300 wins. He pitched for 25 years but if you aren't pretty good...

Of course one day a Juan Pierre type player will break that idea. If not for his defense some might say that Ichiro kind if did...

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
If Markakis somehow got to 3000 hits, I think he should be in the HOF. He very well could be considered the worst HOFer, but 3000 hits is such an iconic stat in baseball that I think he should be in. But I don't think he has any realistic shot to get there. Even at his modest $11 million salary, he will eventually be replaced by a younger, cheaper player.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
This.

The question is largely theoretical because of how hard 3000 hits is.

Same with Jaime Moyer and 300 wins. He pitched for 25 years but if you aren't pretty good...

Of course one day a Juan Pierre type player will break that idea. If not for his defense some might say that Ichiro kind if did...

It seems like we had this discussion when Pierre was at about the same point in his career. In 2011, during his age 33 season, Pierre recorded hit number 2000 (same as Markakis). Pierre didn't play past age 35. Maybe Markakis will last longer, but there is almost no chance of him being a full time player for 6 more years.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
If someone...anyone stays productive long enough for a major league team to keep giving him money and that player accumulates 3,000 hits and 600 doubles that's hall of fame worthy. I don't care how the player is perceived, the goal in the game is to produce for your team so the team wins games.
It just so happens that most hall of famers have some kind of electric quality that they are remembered for. Under no circumstances do I think Markakis gets to 3,000, but if he did I'd vote for him. How could someone achieve more than 99.9% of players ever in such a key statistic and not go in???

e.v.

Jan 23, 2011
He's got no shot at 3000.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I wouldn't say that. In baseball its never over till its over... to quote the great Yogi.

All he needs to do is to keep his production at current levels for the next six years and he gets 3000. Or he could keep it at current levels for the next four years (age 37) and then play sub-par until he is 41. I would think that his chances are at the very least measurable....

Last edited:

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
If someone...anyone stays productive long enough for a major league team to keep giving him money and that player accumulates 3,000 hits and 600 doubles that's hall of fame worthy. I don't care how the player is perceived, the goal in the game is to produce for your team so the team wins games.
It just so happens that most hall of famers have some kind of electric quality that they are remembered for. Under no circumstances do I think Markakis gets to 3,000, but if he did I'd vote for him. How could someone achieve more than 99.9% of players ever in such a key statistic and not go in???

Exactly. There have been well over 18,000 players to have played in the majors but yet only 31 have ever reached the milestone of 3k hits. There is a reason for that. I's a nearly impossible goal to achieve and you have to be incredibly talented to do so. It's not a necessity to have a bunch of All-Star appearances & MVP awards in order to be considered a HOF player.

Markakis has averaged 166 hits per season which means he'd need 6 more seasons (assuming he'll get 37 more hits this season) at the same level of production in order to reach 3k hits. This may sound easy enough but it's not at all. Typically at age 34 players begin to experience a regression in production that continues to decline every following season and that is the exact age he'll be in 2018. This means it's extremely improbable he'll average anything close to 160 hits the next 6 years so you'd have to assume he needs at least a couple more seasons. Then you have to factor in his health. In his late 30's does anyone honestly think he can play 150+ games for the next 6+ years? To this point in his career he's done an amazing job of remaining healthy year after year but as you get older, the body breaks down more often. Finally, he'd have to land on a team that would be willing to play him everyday despite the fact he is well past his prime years and better options are likely available. Considering all this I feel the odds are heavily stacked against him. I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

This reminds me of the "will Adam Dunn make it to the HOF?" thread on BlowoutCards back in 2013/2014 and a bunch of people were saying he had a good shot at 600+ home runs but certainly no less than 500. I mean, if you were looking at his current HR pace when he was 33 one would think 500 HR was certainly plausible. But sure enough, he retired the following year. Point is, it's not easy to remain productive once you reach your mid 30's. Unless of course, you turn to PEDS like Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Mark McGwire, etc.

Jjoey52

Feb 12, 2017
They need to put an addition on the HOF for really good, this could be for guys like Markakis (if he gets 3k) Niekro, Sutton, and other lower HOF members. Save the real HOF for the Giants of the game Ike Cobb, Ruth, Young, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
All he needs to do is to keep his production at current levels for the next six years and he gets 3000. Or he could keep it at current levels for the next four years (age 37) and then play sub-par until he is 41.
The problem is not if Markakis can keep up his level of play for another six years, it's if a team would pay his salary for an average player in his late '30s when they can bring up a 22-year-old rookie for 1/20th the price.

Salaries are so high these days that teams are no longer willing to pay $10 million for a player in his mid-30s, unless he's a franchise legend and still a great player, like Chipper Jones or Derek Jeter.

Markakis will be out of the league by 37 or 38.

e.v.

Jan 23, 2011
Bump Just got his first all-star game. He doesn't seem to be slowing down any! I think he will make it eventually.

Last edited:
hes not a hall of famer.. if he got 3,000 hits and one of them was a bad ruling on an error.. mlb would go back overturn that ruling or simply burn down the Hall of Fame to keep it from being further soiled by less than great players..

hell the other side of that.. if alan trammell can get in.. why not? with him getting in i should get some votes..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts