Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Last 3 baseball deaths have really closed the gap for me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have always been used to hearing about baseball deaths, mostly players who played well before I was even born. There are always going to be younger players who die early, but I was just on baseball reference and it reminded me: These three guys played the bulk of their careers in the decades noted, all were players I learned about as a kid or later and all but May debuted after I was born. It really makes me feel that much older.

Lee May - 1970s
Don Baylor - 1970s-80s
Darren Daulton - 1980s-90s

The old statement that they come in threes really fits here for me.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Yeah, it really does. I had not heard about May passing away. Was it cancer also? It used to be that players would pass away and I wouldn't be familiar with them or even never heard of them. Now when they pass away I'm real familiar with them and I go check my collection to see which card of theirs is my favorite and read up on that player. Daultons death caught me by surprise; seems like he was playing not that long ago. And it does make you feel older, especially when they die at a young age like Daulton, at an age younger than me. It really makes you appreciate every day of life a little more.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
the biggies whose death get me are the junk wax era guys because many of them who were rookies in the junk wax era are not much older than me, so if they are dying it means I'm getting old.

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
What started making me feel old, is when all the guys I grew up watching play the game started becoming managers.

Me too. Plus sons of guys who were rookies when I was watching. Delino DeShields Jr. in particular, because I was a huge fan of DeShields in his early years with the Expos.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
+1

I saw the name Delino Deshields on the TV recently and I had to really pause for a second. Delino Sr. was pretty young when he came up, so just for a second I wondered if he was still playing, before realizing that was like 30 frickin years ago so this had to be his son. And then I started to feel old

Also - I met Don Baylor down at spring training in the early years of the Rockies, and I thought with a few trips to the gym he could probably still play DH. Now he's dead. Damnit. I liked that guy. RIP Groove.

Me too. Plus sons of guys who were rookies when I was watching. Delino DeShields Jr. in particular, because I was a huge fan of DeShields in his early years with the Expos.

Members online

Latest posts