Thread: Rarest cards from the 80s

justcallmepete
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripkenfan126 View Post
    I have an unopened pack with Ripken on front
    I got $40 for it way back when everyone was collecting him. Thought of grading it?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought a huge collection and found this

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

carrsallstars
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much to contribute here but I did pick up one of these a while back. I know only 3 have been graded by PSA, and the best grade is a PSA 7, so there can't be too many out there...haven;t been able to find out much info...
    Collecting (click for website/wantlist):.....Manny Ramirez.....1998 Bowman Chrome Master Set.....2009 Topps Tribute Black Master Set

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrsallstars View Post
    Not much to contribute here but I did pick up one of these a while back. I know only 3 have been graded by PSA, and the best grade is a PSA 7, so there can't be too many out there...haven;t been able to find out much info...
    This is a print flaw where the black ink was blocked in that section (all the black areas on 1986 Topps cards have sky blue underneath). Similar to the 1990 Frank Thomas, where there are connecting subjects also affected by the print flaw such as Tom Seaver.

They are not easy to find but they show up with some regularity. Prices have been all over the place. Several years ago, it was a $25-30 card. One seller a few years back had 10 copies or so available at once.

Chris Brown, Dave Winfield, Joe Niekro are a few other occasionally found with missing portions of black ink on front. Several cards from the Nolan Ryan sheet can be found without yellow ink on front too.
    http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/ My Error & Variation blog, focusing on the little-known rarities of the junk era.

http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr My COMC account, focusing on oddball, variations and promos.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm only collect Barry Larkin and his hardest to find 1980's card that I'm aware of is the 1988 Score Samples card. I've only seen one for sale since I got back into collecting a couple years ago the person was trying to get $200 on ebay. I got super lucky and got mine in a lot of 1,200 Larkin cards for $26. The person I bought it from probably had no idea what they had.
    On the lookout for Barry Larkin cards I don't have, specifically 1998 Topps Tek.
    Currently at 1,467 unique Barry Larkin cards.
    Cards I have/need https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...IAs/edit#gid=0

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by westusmc View Post
    I'm only collect Barry Larkin and his hardest to find 1980's card that I'm aware of is the 1988 Score Samples card. I've only seen one for sale since I got back into collecting a couple years ago the person was trying to get $200 on ebay. I got super lucky and got mine in a lot of 1,200 Larkin cards for $26. The person I bought it from probably had no idea what they had.
    I had one years ago, don't remember what it sold for.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't this card have a few variations? One that looks normal with 000 stats, one missing the name on front? Another without some portion of the back, stats or bio or something? Another with a blank white area where the photo should be? I know several others from the sample set have these variations, ie: Dawson, Boggs, McGwire, Mattingly.
    http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/ My Error & Variation blog, focusing on the little-known rarities of the junk era.

http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr My COMC account, focusing on oddball, variations and promos.

carrsallstars
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
    This is a print flaw where the black ink was blocked in that section (all the black areas on 1986 Topps cards have sky blue underneath). Similar to the 1990 Frank Thomas, where there are connecting subjects also affected by the print flaw such as Tom Seaver.

They are not easy to find but they show up with some regularity. Prices have been all over the place. Several years ago, it was a $25-30 card. One seller a few years back had 10 copies or so available at once.

Chris Brown, Dave Winfield, Joe Niekro are a few other occasionally found with missing portions of black ink on front. Several cards from the Nolan Ryan sheet can be found without yellow ink on front too.
    Cool, thanks for the info.

Sent from my XT1585 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Collecting (click for website/wantlist):.....Manny Ramirez.....1998 Bowman Chrome Master Set.....2009 Topps Tribute Black Master Set

carrsallstars
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice find! Pretty sure an 88 score Larkin sample sold on comc fairly recently. Dallascardboys had one up, I put in an offer and it got bought minutes later...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrsallstars View Post
    Nice find! Pretty sure an 88 score Larkin sample sold on comc fairly recently. Dallascardboys had one up, I put in an offer and it got bought minutes later...

I highly recommend checking COMC regularly for 1988 Score promos subjects listed among the base cards. It definitely happens.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
    Doesn't this card have a few variations? One that looks normal with 000 stats, one missing the name on front? Another without some portion of the back, stats or bio or something? Another with a blank white area where the photo should be? I know several others from the sample set have these variations, ie: Dawson, Boggs, McGwire, Mattingly.
    Did I tell you about the one I got off ebay awhile back? mcgwire promo with no picture on front? It has the border and name, just no picture.
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Tek Diffractors (need 44 patterns)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Blue (86)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Gold (5,8,23,50,59,62,65,77)
    1999 Tek Gold /10 (7A pattern: 24), (7B patterns: 4, 28)
    2014 Tek (Black/White Auto Proof /1) and (any remaining unique buybacks)
    1999 Ultimate Victory Parallels (151, 152)
    View Collection: 5600+ unique cards
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only seen pictures of the one that was posted on ebay and mine. They were both identical. Green border, 000s for 1987 and total stats on the back.
    On the lookout for Barry Larkin cards I don't have, specifically 1998 Topps Tek.
    Currently at 1,467 unique Barry Larkin cards.
    Cards I have/need https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...IAs/edit#gid=0

beanzy46
     andyscags
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my addition. Pack pulled myself and off to PSA. Was looking for Ripkens and got the Reverse Negative Littlefield.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    -Andy

Always looking to add to my vintage pc's and set needs, let me know what you've got!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234