Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whatever Happened To Moore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I was checking the schedule today and see he is 3-12 with an ugly 5.88 ERA. I remember when he first came up he was really good and the Rays Game 1 starter in the playoffs years ago. He looked like he was going to be the next Rays ace. Years later he gets traded to Giants, and has been pretty crappy since then. Will he ever turn it around? And why the drop off?

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I'm sure he will turn it around, this will be a career low. I drafted him with thoughts of 12 wins and a 3.40 era...this season is my fault...sorry guys.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
has been pretty crappy since then.

Because he plays for the worse team in baseball (or at least it seems like it). :cool:

I'm hoping he gets it together in future seasons because he's a local kid so it's tough to watch him this season.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
The second game of Sundays double header is also what happened to Matt Moore and the rest of the Giants. Anytime this year he accidentally threw a good game they can't score runs, his line from Sunday was great, no win though.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
He was one of the last guys I specced on, and definitely the last pitcher. Led the minors in Ks 2 years in a row, he was all set to be good, but pitching for usually poor TB teams, TJ surgery, and now really bad Giants has got to be draining. Even in his one really good year his cards were bleah. I am a fan in addition to holding a decent stash, hope he can keep going. Still only 28.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
FB too straight, perhaps? :)

I remember when this was a big card (I sold it a while ago)...

MOORE.GOLD.REF.NS1.jpg

This is the only autograph I ever had of him:

moore.chr.au.ns1.jpg

And prob the best one I still have...

MOORE.BLUE.REF.RC.12BDP.NS.jpg

Seems like a nice guy. I remember he was a huge strikeout machine in the minors.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I actually made a killing on his Elite autos. I got a bunch of them in a lot where I was really just interested in a Trout and Jurickson Profar at the time. The guy I was buying from just wanted a bigger deal, so I bought a bunch of stuff. There were like 5 Moore cards in it, and two were ser. numbered /50 and /100. If you subtract what I was willing to pay for the Trout, I got the 5 Moore cards for roughly a $1 a piece. I think I sold them when he was blowing up for quite a bit. I might have cleared $300 on a $5 investment.

I love Matt Moore.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
The second game of Sundays double header is also what happened to Matt Moore and the rest of the Giants. Anytime this year he accidentally threw a good game they can't score runs, his line from Sunday was great, no win though.

With an ERA of 5.88, he hasn't been throwing many good games this year. That has nothing to do with run support.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Because he plays for the worse team in baseball (or at least it seems like it). :cool:

I'm hoping he gets it together in future seasons because he's a local kid so it's tough to watch him this season.

Giants were still a playoff team last year, but he was still average. And he had a 5.43 ERA the year before. He really hasn't been that good since 2013. So it's not like the drop off has been sudden.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I always wondered what that card would have sold for if he didn't look like a chubby sad sack. I've never seen another picture of him looking like that.

Haha. Good point. I often thought Topps should have found a better picture of him to put on that card.