Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Judge on the verge of another record

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
With his first inning strike out tonight, he has now struck out at least once in 31 straight games. If he strikes out tomorrow he ties Adam Dunn's record of at least one strikeout in 32 straight games. Do you care? Is this news? Does it say anything about Judge? Is there a ridiculous amount of over-statting (yes I made that word up) out there? What say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Part of me cares because I miss the days when strikeouts were seen as a blemish before the new way of thinking sort of took over and now we only look at the pros and dismiss the cons.
I wonder what Joe D would think? Judge is going to strike out more this year than DiMaggio nearly did in his entire career.
Is it news? Only because it's Judge.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
It says that he's your typical elite HR hitter (HR, walk or strikeout per PA). Home run hitters tend to strike out a lot so it's not news to me, as I'd expect him to have a high K total.

He's on pace to rake up 200+ strikeouts this season which is never good but he also leads the league in walks & less than 2 strikeouts per walk isn't a bad rate.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Strikeouts don't account much for a player's value anymore.
Most people don't realize that Mike Trout's MVP season in 2014 included leading the AL in strikeouts with 184.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Kind of fun to check out stuff like this. Of the top 10 career HR hitters, just over half had less than 1550 career K's (I used this mark to get Bonds, Mays and Robinson included and that also started the larger gap). Griffey is roaming the middle ground with almost 1800. Then you had super whiff kings like Sosa and Arod with over 2200 each and Thome with 2500+. Only Mr. Strikeout himself had more, Reggie Jackson, but he is not a top 10 HR guy anymore. In fact, 1/2 of the 6 guys with 2000+ K's are in the top 10 in HRs and the other 3 are not (Galarraga, Dunn & Jackson)

Trout will pass the bottom guy on the list (Pujols at 1128 and counting) before 10 years is up!

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I read something briefly the other day how it looks like Judge's strike zone has changed dramatically in the 2nd half due to Umpires calling strikes differently when he is up. I wonder if there is any truth to that.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Just over a 30% K rate, I'll take it if it also comes with his wRC and his OBP. The kid is performing at a superstar level as a rookie and he is great for the game.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Bases loaded 1 out. Would you rather hit into a double play or strikeout.

Strikeout for two reasons:

1) it gives the batter behind you the chance to make something of the rally instead of you being the rally killer
2) you can hope for a WP or PB on the strikeout so a run might score

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Mays and Thomas sternly disagree with you, but Reggie and Arod are cool with it.

That is why Mays & Thomas are in the HOF. Jackson was sort of the trend setter.

Although, Mays played in a different era where strikeouts weren't nearly as predominant. It's become a completely different game these last few decades with the massive increase in strikeouts (and home runs). One likely cause is the fact that more and more players are swinging for the fences in every at-bat, trying to get that big game changing home run. Frank Thomas simply had a great approach at the plate with excellent pitch recognition & plate discipline.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Bases loaded 1 out. Would you rather hit into a double play or strikeout.

If it's a two strike count, choke up, maintain bat control and groove a single onto the outfield grass, seems like an ok solution, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Swinging as hard as you can all the time can result in losing bat control and give way to topping the ball and hitting a weak grounder just as much as anything else

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I read something briefly the other day how it looks like Judge's strike zone has changed dramatically in the 2nd half due to Umpires calling strikes differently when he is up. I wonder if there is any truth to that.
I am pro computerized strike zone

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The attitude since at least the late 80s with Schmidt and Reggie seemed to be that going 1-4 with 3 Ks and a home run is a slugger doing his job. Going 2-4 with 2 singles is not his job. It's definitely not the black mark it used to be, but when you start seeing 200 +/- being the K leader's total every year, it does make you wonder if shortening up and trying to just drive a ball the other way once in a while wouldn't be more useful.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
The attitude since at least the late 80s with Schmidt and Reggie seemed to be that going 1-4 with 3 Ks and a home run is a slugger doing his job. Going 2-4 with 2 singles is not his job. It's definitely not the black mark it used to be, but when you start seeing 200 +/- being the K leader's total every year, it does make you wonder if shortening up and trying to just drive a ball the other way once in a while wouldn't be more useful.

Every once and a while David Ortiz would drop a bunt to third or make a slap swing to left to beat the shift, no one is hitting 200 homers so why try? Being productive is good, striking out 200 times is crazy to me...and I've grown up in the era where it's been "ok". For the record I'm not saying that if you strike out that much you can't be productive but I just can't grasp the all or nothing mindset when there are so many other possibilities that are productive

Members online