Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Judge on the verge of another record

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
If you want an amazing eye and patience at the plate, check out Joe Sewell. 114 K's career in over 8000 PA. After a "rough" couple years in double digit K's and topping out at a career seasonal high 20 K's, he got it under control and kept under 10 K's a year for the rest of his career!

Game has changed. In 1950 yogi Berra had 656pa and only 12 strike outs.. Unreal

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Those old timers didnt deal with 5+ pitchers in a game, special lefty/right matchups or 101+ mph baseballs.

A few of the guys mentioned here would still excel today, but it really isn't a good comparison.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Those old timers didnt deal with 5+ pitchers in a game, special lefty/right matchups or 101+ mph baseballs.

A few of the guys mentioned here would still excel today, but it really isn't a good comparison.

Do you think it's the players or the approach they take? I don't like to compare players in different eras because you're right lots of things change in the game but this is something I think is more of an approach issue rather than a skill issue. If you want to call it an issue at all. Seems like growing stikeout totals don't matter to most people.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
It's pretty interesting how he's a top 10 .OBP with that many k's.

Pitchers probably afraid to throw him anything near the strike zone so he either takes the walk or swings at one of those pitches outside the zone. As a power hitter I imagine it's tough for him to just take a walk when he wants to change the game with one swing of the bat. With that OBP he obviously has good recognition of the strikezone but still tries to get greedy a little too often.

I don't know if this is the case for him (as an AL player I don't see him play often) but that would be my take on how a relatively inexperienced power hitter may end up with a high OBP & high k rate.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Pitchers probably afraid to throw him anything near the strike zone so he either takes the walk or swings at one of those pitches outside the zone. As a power hitter I imagine it's tough for him to just take a walk when he wants to change the game with one swing of the bat. With that OBP he obviously has good recognition of the strikezone but still tries to get greedy a little too often.

I don't know if this is the case for him (as an AL player I don't see him play often) but that would be my take on how a relatively inexperienced power hitter may end up with a high OBP & high k rate.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/aaron-judge-might-need-another-adjustment/

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What a weird season he's having. Such awful plate discipline, yet he's leading the league in walks.
In the first half he was a triple crown candidate. But since the All-Star break he's hitting .175.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
What a weird season he's having. Such awful plate discipline, yet he's leading the league in walks.
In the first half he was a triple crown candidate. But since the All-Star break he's hitting .175.

Professional sports...any sport...is about adjustments. He's still a valuable part of a playoff contending team. Just like Sanchez last year who came out hot, pitchers adjusted. Much to my dismay sooner or later pitchers will find a hole in Devers swing. I wouldn't say judge has bad plate discipline, his swing and miss rate is just too high. He's not swinging at junk because he's still walking alot, just no bat control because he swings too hard.

Members online