Please don't adblock plus me bro

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 52

Thread: 1998 Donruss Red Crusade Greg Maddux BGS 9

  1. #31
    Senior Member SINFULONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,654
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is reasonable to give for the commons? I might someday pick up a few.

  2. #32
    Member JVHaste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    633
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SINFULONE View Post
    What is reasonable to give for the commons? I might someday pick up a few.
    They're really nice to hold in hand/see in person. By commons do you mean reds of bad players or greens of good players? Those prices can overlap in fact. I have a ton and most of mine are greens so if you want to PM specifics I will try to remember. I think I have a red of the worst player in the set and it might have been 75-85 bucks.. idk.

    Every now and then you will find modern collector that sees a random card with /25 of an unknown player and get hosed at a card show.... someone on here found a red Randy Johnson in a dollar bin right?? I would not factor those prices in the averaging because those are true anomalies. I only shop/trade online so have never robbed someone blind yet.
    ask me about my Crusades...

  3. #33
    Senior Member SINFULONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,654
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JVHaste View Post
    They're really nice to hold in hand/see in person. By commons do you mean reds of bad players or greens of good players? Those prices can overlap in fact. I have a ton and most of mine are greens so if you want to PM specifics I will try to remember. I think I have a red of the worst player in the set and it might have been 75-85 bucks.. idk.

    Every now and then you will find modern collector that sees a random card with /25 of an unknown player and get hosed at a card show.... someone on here found a red Randy Johnson in a dollar bin right?? I would not factor those prices in the averaging because those are true anomalies. I only shop/trade online so have never robbed someone blind yet.
    By commons I mean average to minor star players of all the parallels. Fortunately, I see some average/minor stars I might add. While it would still seem like an overpay, they are not back breaking prices like the red Crusade Griffey, Ripkin, and Maddux are.

    I would hate to be the guy who sold a red Johnson for $1. Ouch. I would like to know more about the Call To Arms cards. Is this some subset or insert? Do all of the players in this also have a base card?

    I don't know why some people get so bothered when someone thinks the asking price is way too high. It's not like anyone insulted anyone else or called their mother a name. When you post something like this in an open public community such as this you potentially subject yourself to these comments. No harm. No foul. No reason to get that bothered by it.
    Last edited by SINFULONE; 08-19-2017 at 01:25 AM.

  4. #34
    Member gradedeflator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SINFULONE View Post
    Doesn't McGwire cards still go really high?
    not sure...i had some inserts last year, and never had any luck selling them. might have been what i had, might have been me. but seemed like a tough market.
    I collect Pedro Martinez, Mike Piazza, Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers prospects and Trevor Bauer (and anything nice that catches my eye)

  5. #35
    Senior Member SINFULONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,654
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gradedeflator View Post
    not sure...i had some inserts last year, and never had any luck selling them. might have been what i had, might have been me. but seemed like a tough market.
    I still see some of his older stuff sell decent. Some old Donruss insert or parallel numbered to 100 sold $25 or so. I still see healthy asking prices for some of his older cards. What did you have? And how much was you asking?
    Last edited by SINFULONE; 08-19-2017 at 01:33 AM.

  6. #36
    Member JVHaste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    633
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SINFULONE View Post

    I would like to know more about the Call To Arms cards. Is this some subset or insert? Do all of the players in this also have a base card?
    Some guys got CTA and most got the regular design. The next product line was supposed to flip it so each player had both design, but Donruss went busto. There are prototypes that are believed to be 1/1s for the most part... but who knows how many are really out there, and of whom.
    ask me about my Crusades...

  7. #37
    Senior Member SINFULONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,654
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JVHaste View Post
    Some guys got CTA and most got the regular design. The next product line was supposed to flip it so each player had both design, but Donruss went busto. There are prototypes that are believed to be 1/1s for the most part... but who knows how many are really out there, and of whom.
    So they were a subset? Looking at an eBay listing I found out the Call To Arms green were only numbered to 100? But they had no set numbering on the back. And how did Donruss go bankrupt in 1998, only to start making cards again just 3 years later? What happened during those 3 years that let them print cards again?

  8. #38
    Senior Member SINFULONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,654
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happened to the top of this?

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Leaf-Ro....c100005.m1851

  9. #39
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    250
     budvandall
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Refractor line.

  10. #40
    Senior Member SINFULONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,654
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who here got this deal?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9680.PNG 
Views:	25 
Size:	413.9 KB 
ID:	72206

  11. #41
    Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
    Topnotchsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,964
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The prices on these are dramatically different based on the popularity of the player. I had a Smoltz Red and sold it when he made the HOF (IIRC) for under $200.

    For the biggest stars, the prices are insane...

  12. #42
    Member JVHaste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    633
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
    The prices on these are dramatically different based on the popularity of the player. I had a Smoltz Red and sold it when he made the HOF (IIRC) for under $200.

    For the biggest stars, the prices are insane...
    man, I must have missed that one would have paid higher for sure.
    ask me about my Crusades...

  13. #43
    Senior Member SINFULONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,654
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  14. #44
    Senior Member gracecollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Huntley, IL
    Posts
    6,038
     gracecollector
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SINFULONE View Post
    Here is the list of players, in which product they were issued, and if they were Crusade or Call to Arms: http://baseballcardpedia.com/index.p...onruss_Crusade

    The green CTA cards were serial numbered to 250 (250 copies exist for each). They were printed without Card Number though by mistake, and never reprinted/corrected.




    Some prototypes exist for players that show what their second card would have looked like. Those are unnumbered. Here are my Graces, both issued and prototype. Prototypes are cards 131 and above.




  15. #45
    Senior Member RStadlerASU22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    8,821
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And executive XX ones exist of the cards that were issued. Has anyone ever seen a XX version on the unreleased prototype, no right?

    Ryan
    Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN



Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •