Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FS 1998 Donruss Red Crusade Greg Maddux BGS 9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Glad I got these when I did..

edgar-red-a.jpg
edgar-purple-a.jpg

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
What do you mean by clog the thread it's educationally on the card and you said the same things as us.

Furthermore I want the gwynn that 1990's nut job wants 9 million for

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

OP has a card. he listed it with a price. the market will determine what is fair.

no reason to make a post sarcastically asking if the price is a typo...for many player collectors, the 1998 Red Crusade or 1996 Select Mirror Gold is a highly sought after card. again, if a Pudge sells for $1k, I could see the Maddux selling for 2x that.

p.s. I don't follow Clemens, Bonds, Pudge markets...but I do know that many of the guys associated with PEDs saw their markets crater. A-Rods are worth nowhere near as much as they used to.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I had a fun run collecting Crusades, but when I lost on a Ripken Purp for something like 550-650 I knew I was done :lol:

I guess one pro of buying one is the prices don't seem to be stopping anytime soon and resale should be nice.

The whole thing reminds me of the Dave Chappelle skit where he is getting a haircut and the tv shows how much money he is worth, then the guy says "new price. . . 50 million dollars" :rolleyes: You can truly name your price on this stuff.

Best of luck to the seller, your price is certainly fair. (and if you don't find a buyer you could sell for 3k in few years)

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
If in auction $600-1,300.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

No, $600 is laughable. It's an easy $1k+ and I'm not going to speculate on the exact end price (Ripken PSA10 Red).

I sold a Maddux Green and Purple earlier in the year and $2k for a Red isn't happening IMO. GL with the sale but I'm not even sure if you'd get more than a watcher or two on eBay at that value.

calripkenjr

Feb 26, 2012
I have a PSA 10 Ripken Red and paid more than $1,300 for it. Just curious what people thought. Ripken is probably one of the better cards in the set. If Griffey is $10k+ it would seem Ripken would be $3k perhaps.

Sent from my VS987 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
OP has a card. he listed it with a price. the market will determine what is fair.

no reason to make a post sarcastically asking if the price is a typo...for many player collectors, the 1998 Red Crusade or 1996 Select Mirror Gold is a highly sought after card. again, if a Pudge sells for $1k, I could see the Maddux selling for 2x that.

p.s. I don't follow Clemens, Bonds, Pudge markets...but I do know that many of the guys associated with PEDs saw their markets crater. A-Rods are worth nowhere near as much as they used to.

Doesn't McGwire cards still go really high?

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
What is reasonable to give for the commons? I might someday pick up a few.

They're really nice to hold in hand/see in person. By commons do you mean reds of bad players or greens of good players? Those prices can overlap in fact. I have a ton and most of mine are greens so if you want to PM specifics I will try to remember. I think I have a red of the worst player in the set and it might have been 75-85 bucks.. idk.

Every now and then you will find modern collector that sees a random card with /25 of an unknown player and get hosed at a card show.... someone on here found a red Randy Johnson in a dollar bin right?? I would not factor those prices in the averaging because those are true anomalies. I only shop/trade online so have never robbed someone blind yet. ;)

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
They're really nice to hold in hand/see in person. By commons do you mean reds of bad players or greens of good players? Those prices can overlap in fact. I have a ton and most of mine are greens so if you want to PM specifics I will try to remember. I think I have a red of the worst player in the set and it might have been 75-85 bucks.. idk.

Every now and then you will find modern collector that sees a random card with /25 of an unknown player and get hosed at a card show.... someone on here found a red Randy Johnson in a dollar bin right?? I would not factor those prices in the averaging because those are true anomalies. I only shop/trade online so have never robbed someone blind yet. ;)

By commons I mean average to minor star players of all the parallels. Fortunately, I see some average/minor stars I might add. While it would still seem like an overpay, they are not back breaking prices like the red Crusade Griffey, Ripkin, and Maddux are.

I would hate to be the guy who sold a red Johnson for $1. Ouch. I would like to know more about the Call To Arms cards. Is this some subset or insert? Do all of the players in this also have a base card?

I don't know why some people get so bothered when someone thinks the asking price is way too high. It's not like anyone insulted anyone else or called their mother a name. When you post something like this in an open public community such as this you potentially subject yourself to these comments. No harm. No foul. No reason to get that bothered by it.

Last edited:

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
not sure...i had some inserts last year, and never had any luck selling them. might have been what i had, might have been me. but seemed like a tough market.

I still see some of his older stuff sell decent. Some old Donruss insert or parallel numbered to 100 sold $25 or so. I still see healthy asking prices for some of his older cards. What did you have? And how much was you asking?

Last edited:

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I would like to know more about the Call To Arms cards. Is this some subset or insert? Do all of the players in this also have a base card?

Some guys got CTA and most got the regular design. The next product line was supposed to flip it so each player had both design, but Donruss went busto. There are prototypes that are believed to be 1/1s for the most part... but who knows how many are really out there, and of whom.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Some guys got CTA and most got the regular design. The next product line was supposed to flip it so each player had both design, but Donruss went busto. There are prototypes that are believed to be 1/1s for the most part... but who knows how many are really out there, and of whom.

So they were a subset? Looking at an eBay listing I found out the Call To Arms green were only numbered to 100? But they had no set numbering on the back. And how did Donruss go bankrupt in 1998, only to start making cards again just 3 years later? What happened during those 3 years that let them print cards again?

Members online

No members online now.