Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Top Modern Baseball Cards You Need To Own

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyansCards

Aug 10, 2017
Open discussion and opinions welcome!

What do you guy think are the top modern baseball cards that everyone should own, if they don't already.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
One of the first cards I picked up when I starting collecting modern stuff was a 2011 Topps Update Mike Trout. Luckily it was last year before they got too crazy, but it was one I felt I couldn't go wrong with.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
If "you need to own" is in reference to a modern card that should be, or is, considered iconic or historic then these come to mind:

2001 BC Albert Pujols auto
2011 Topps Update Mike Trout RC
2009 BC Mike Trout prospect auto
2011 BC Bryce Harper auto

There are others that come to mind but I'm not sure what you are considering modern.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
If "you need to own" is in reference to a modern card that should be, or is, considered iconic or historic then these come to mind:

2001 BC Albert Pujols auto
2011 Topps Update Mike Trout RC
2009 BC Mike Trout prospect auto
2011 BC Bryce Harper auto

There are others that come to mind but I'm not sure what you are considering modern.

You left out the 2006 Bowman Chrome Clayton Kershaw prospect superfractor auto!

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
While on the 'relatively' expensive side, here are some modern cards that I think everyone should own from an investment and collecting standpoint. Most of these were cards that as a kid 'I had to own' but couldn't ever find or afford...until eBay came along and I started having money in my pocket:)

1985 Topps Tiffany Mark McGwire XRC (PSA 9 or 10)
1985 Topps Tiffany Roger Clemens RC (PSA 9 or 10)
1986 Topps Traded Tiffany Barry Bonds RC (PSA 10)
1987 Donruss Opening Day Barry Bonds (Johnny Ray Error)
1990 Topps Frank Thomas RC NNOF
1990 Topps George Bush USA1 (Regular or Glossy White House issue)
1991 Topps Tiffany Chipper Jones RC (PSA 9 or 10)
1992 Score The Franchise Players Musial/Mantle/Yastrzemski Auto /500
1993 Topps Finest Refractor Nolan Ryan (Promo)
1997 Fleer Ultra Platinum Medallion David Ortiz RC
1997 Pinnacle Certified Mirror Black (Any player)
2001 Bowman Chrome Refractor Albert Pujols RC Auto
2001 Bowman Chrome Refractor Ichiro Suzuki RC (PSA 10)
2001 Topps Employee Ichiro Suzuki RC PR/151 (PSA 9 or 10 - if one actually exist)

Regardless of condition, IMO these are MUST for everyone (Two of these were already mentioned, but they're worth stating again):

1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. RC
1992 Fleer Update Mike Piazza RC
1993 SP Derek Jeter RC

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
2008 BC Madison Bumgarner auto
2008 BC Giancarlo Stanton auto
2008 BC Buster Posey auto

Honestly, you can just insert a superstar players name next to Bowman Chrome and they are a must own for those looking to collect the 1st autograph cards of future (potential) HOF players.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
2008 BC Madison Bumgarner auto
2008 BC Giancarlo Stanton auto
2008 BC Buster Posey auto

Honestly, you can just insert a superstar players name next to Bowman Chrome and they are a must own for those looking to collect the 1st autograph cards of future (potential) HOF players.
Don't forget Acuna

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So basically this isn't a "needs to own" list like RyansCards probably intended, but rather a list of the rarest and most expensive cards of the best players.

I don't think any of us needs to own or can even afford a Pujols Chrome auto rookie or a 1990 Topps George Bush Yale card.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Bo+Jackson.jpg

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
So basically this isn't a "needs to own" list like RyansCards probably intended, but rather a list of the rarest and most expensive cards of the best players.

I don't think any of us needs to own or can even afford a Pujols Chrome auto rookie or a 1990 Topps George Bush Yale card.

Nobody "needs" to own any card. It's cardboard, not air or water. If he meant "cards everybody wants to own" then I imagine a good portion of collectors would like to own most of the cards that have been listed too. Are they all affordable cards? Depends on the budget and most are expensive but if these were all $1 cards then less people would want them because they likely would own it already. And if it's a question of modern cards that everyone should own then the list of cards I'd post would be drastically different.

Anyway, this is why I made sure to clarify my answers back on post #5.

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Nobody "needs" to own any card. It's cardboard, not air or water. If he meant "cards everybody wants to own" then I imagine a good portion of collectors would like to own most of the cards that have been listed too. Are they all affordable cards? Depends on the budget and most are expensive but if these were all $1 cards then less people would want them because they likely would own it already. And if it's a question of modern cards that everyone should own then the list of cards I'd post would be drastically different.

Anyway, this is why I made sure to clarify my answers back on post #5.
I didn't mean "needs to own" literally.
I meant that when people usually post lists or write articles of Books You Need to Own, or action figures or comics or any kind of collectible or media, it's about what is important or iconic, not just a list of the most expensive or rare.

I'd expect iconic but available cards like a few people posted, like '89 UD Griffey, '90 Score Bo Baseball/Football, important rookies of the '80s, etc., instead of $2,000 cards that most of us will never be able to afford.

Just my opinion on this kind of list, especially since there's already been two good threads this week about the rarest and most valuable modern cards.

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida

"Any" is kind of a strong word. I get what your saying, but I think what some of us were trying to say is needs to own from an investment standpoint. Outside of that their are many great cards on the cheap that everyone should own just because...

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
Here are some more that I think are amazing and pretty affordable:

1. 1987 Donruss Bo Jackson RC
2. 1991 Topps Stadium Club Nolan Ryan (Pitching in the Tux)
3. 1992 Donruss Elite Ken Griffey Jr.
4. 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco
5. 1991 Upper Deck Michael Jordan SP1

Members online