Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jered Weaver retires at age 34.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Weaver was a fun pitcher to watch, with his cool windup, and retires second all-time in wins as an Angel.

I remember when there was a big debate in 2004 before the draft of who was the better college pitcher, Weaver or Justin Verlander. Weaver ended up sweeping the Player of the Year awards, but Verlander (and a few other pitchers) were picked ahead of him in the draft because his agent Scott Boras' bonus demands were too high.

Here's ESPN's article about his retirement:

ESPN -- Three-time All-Star pitcher Jered Weaver announced his retirement from baseball Wednesday, ending a 12-year career, 11 with the Los Angeles Angels.

Weaver, 34, has battled injuries to his hip, back and elbow in recent years, and said in a statement his "body just will not allow me to compete like I want to."

Weaver finished his career with a 150-98 record and a 3.63 ERA. He was the runner-up for the American League Cy Young Award in 2011, when he went 18-8 with a 2.41 ERA. He led the league in wins the following year, when he went 20-5 with a 2.81 ERA.

Weaver threw a no-hitter against the Twins, and was part of a combined no-hit loss against the Dodgers.

Weaver was the ace pitcher for an Angels team that won three straight AL West division titles from 2007-09. He is second in Angels franchise history in wins and games started (322) and is third in innings pitched (2,025) and strikeouts (1,598).

In Weaver's final season at Long Beach State, he went 15-1 with a 1.62 ERA, 213 strikeouts and just 21 walks in 144 innings. He won the Golden Spikes Award as the top amateur baseball player in America, the Dick Howser Trophy as the national collegiate baseball player of the year, the Roger Clemens Award as college baseball's top pitcher, and was named starting pitcher on the All-American first team by Baseball America.

0412-Cover-JER.-WEAVER.jpg

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I wrote his brother a letter once.
Strange but true trivia question:

Who replaced Jeff Weaver in the Angels starting rotation when Jeff was designated for assignment in 2006?

Younger brother Jered Weaver.

Jeff was having a horrible season and his bro Jered was dealing in the minors, so the Angels dumped Jeff and called up Jered to take his place. Pretty bittersweet for the Weaver family.

But Jeff got the last laugh as he went to the Cardinals and helped lead them to the World Series, including getting the win in the clinching Game 5.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Strange but true trivia question:

Who replaced Jeff Weaver in the Angels starting rotation when Jeff was designated for assignment in 2006?

Younger brother Jered Weaver.

Jeff was having a horrible season and his bro Jered was dealing in the minors, so the Angels dumped Jeff and called up Jered to take his place. Pretty bittersweet for the Weaver family.

But Jeff got the last laugh as he went to the Cardinals and helped lead them to the World Series, including getting the win in the clinching Game 5.

No, Jeff REALLY got the last laugh by signing a 13 million dollar contract with Seattle after leaving the Cardinals, and then pitching like Jeff Weaver usually pitched.........like hot garbage.

He stole that money from the Mariners.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I saw him pitch his rookie year. He won that day. I always liked his funky windup and awesome looking signature. I did not know he pitched that slow. Nice career.

Members online

Latest posts