Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I cant believe Panini

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Wait.......isn't that the point of a sports card board, to discuss sports cards, whether you love the product/design/company/etc or not :confused:
You are correct but thread after thread of Panini and no logos gets redundant. Usually, its the panini haters that chime in every chance they get about the logo issue.

Question the Mantle material being used is a valid and decent discussion.

Fordman

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
You are correct but thread after thread of Panini and no logos gets redundant. Usually, its the panini haters that chime in every chance they get about the logo issue.

Question the Mantle material being used is a valid and decent discussion.

Fordman

I'm not a stickler for the logos. I think the Ortiz / Tito card is beautiful.

I just don't want to own one of these mantles. I don't think they are a compelling collectible after seeing where they came from.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I'm not a stickler for the logos. I think the Ortiz / Tito card is beautiful.

I just don't want to own one of these mantles. I don't think they are a compelling collectible after seeing where they came from.

That's the beauty of the hobby...there will be those who want it purely based on the fact it's from the estate and is a unique piece.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
The Mantle relics look good until you see where they came from. I equate the relics to a guy that buys a Griffey Jr jersey at Mariners fantasy camp, plays a game in it and considers it a gamer.

While I like Panini products, they're designs seem to be all the same the last few years and its hard to tell a 2015 Immaculate apart from the 2016 or 2017 releases.

Fordman

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
While I like Panini products, they're designs seem to be all the same the last few years and its hard to tell a 2015 Immaculate apart from the 2016 or 2017 releases.

Luckily Panini identifies the product on the back of the card. ;) It's the material on the card that I care about when I buy an Immaculate single, not what the design looks like.

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
I own a ton of panini cards. I started this thread, cuz I just think its lame that they couldn't get anything game used for the Aaron Judge cards. Even if his stuff is expensive, I'm sure panini can afford it. It has nothing to do with them having no logos, or the designs starting to get stale. I'm not willing to pay big money for non game used items. I also applaud their transparency, in stating what the item is, and where its from.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
On the plus side at least they are up front about instead of the way topps handled the seat relic issue in Tribute.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
I really don't see any issue here. They were forthright, which is a lot more than you can say for the other companies making memorabilia cards now.
If you don't like, don't buy it.
I'm glad Panini had the nuts to say where the jersey came from, probably knowing full well that they would catch flack from it.
With the vague wording on the back of memorabilia cards these days it's a welcome change, even if you might not like exactly where the item came from.
I hope we can all agree this is a step in the right direction. I mean how long has the collecting hobby been asking for oversight like this, and now that companies actually do it, we are giving them crap for it? Make no sense to me...

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
I give ongoing kudos to Panini for at least specifying a bit more detail into the items used versus Topps. It at least allows for a few more details so any collector can research a bit more before deciding to purchase or not.

Also, I think there are many collectors that go after the set or team set and not just the player.

Another example of collecting regarding the Mantle stuff in this set...there are probably Mickey Mantle card collectors that don't mind adding in this kind of stuff as it hasn't really been available (that we know of) before. I collect Felix Hernandez stuff, and I would be a bit interested in picking up some "quirky" card pieces just as long as the card has the specifics on it.

I also wouldn't doubt that Topps has been using fantasy camp material as well. This doesn't prove it, but when you do a little research it does seem like some stuff is a bit "new" in some of the offerings based off of the look:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/112528918795

I used this auction strictly for the pic, I know puma has been around for a bit but I find it funny that Panini uses that as a major piece on their marketing. I know when I think of the Mick...I think puma...
I'm indifferent to the other issues people have with the company. I'd prefer logos and team names but a great looking card is a great looking card. The papi/Tito auto pictured earlier is awesome I saw a biggio/bagwell one on eBay that I really want. That picture just struck me as funny, thought it may be enjoyed here.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Oh great, another bash Panini thread on a sports card board....

Fordman

Hey there is a Panini appreciation thread that got buried somewhere :)

I agree with the mention however that they need to shake up the design a bit. That's across all their products: Donruss/Optic, National Treasures, can't differentiate Year to year already

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I personally really don't care about logo or team names.
Check out these cards pulled at my local card store. Please tell me you would not be happy owning one of these.
20882529_1422941237760532_7409781358893858944_n.jpg
20841817_1422939024427420_8523969351218784278_n.jpg
20915352_1422939041094085_7250611283197009867_n.jpg
20914332_1422939047760751_8881618514099939692_n.jpg

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
Id be happy with all of those. My gripe is only that they've had a long enough time and have enough $ to acquire some game used items of Judge to put in the cards. Either buy some from Steiner Sports, of Fanatics. Regardless of where they get them, just get them.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I don't have a problem with people not liking Panini for whatever reason they choose, but Panini Haters tend to be overly vocal in 95% of Panini posts.
Kinda like I don't have a problem with Marijuana but 95% of potheads are really annoying and won't shut up about it

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I don't have a problem with people not liking Panini for whatever reason they choose, but Panini Haters tend to be overly vocal in 95% of Panini posts.
Kinda like I don't have a problem with Marijuana but 95% of potheads are really annoying and won't shut up about it

My favorite stoner ever
18e3242861b1374fe922a53658a9e845.jpg

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
[MENTION=11924]AnthonyCorona[/MENTION] can invent a bong from virtually anything. I once saw him create a fully functioning vaping device from a 1989 Topps Cal Ripken, toothpick, shaving cream & a banana*. He's the Macgyver of all things stoner related.

*He ate the banana

Members online

Latest posts